Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 11-30-2011, 09:46 PM

RegEdit is on a distinguished road
Default CMOS battery testing software?

Is there a way to test the CMOS battery besides manually with a voltometer or by viewing in the BIOS. Any desktop or boot CD software that does this?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:03 PM

RichmondTech will become famous soon enough

I can't think of any software that would get down to that level. I think if anything the voltmeter is the way to go, but I don't even bother and just swap them out because of how inexpensive they are.

Computer Repair Richmond VA
Old 11-30-2011, 10:08 PM

RegEdit is on a distinguished road

Do you pull the CMOS out for testing as part of a "standard initial diagnostic" if the BIOS doesn't list the CMOS voltage? Personally I wouldn't want to wipe out any BIOS updates, or change the clock (as this can cause Microsoft programs to fail to open until repaired). So I would not test the CMOS battery unless it was suspected bad.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:15 PM

katz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegEdit View Post
Do you pull the CMOS out for testing as part of a "standard initial diagnostic" if the BIOS doesn't list the CMOS voltage? Personally I wouldn't want to wipe out any BIOS updates, or change the clock (as this can cause Microsoft programs to fail to open until repaired). So I would not test the CMOS battery unless it was suspected bad.
I do this on every pc I service. I have seen too many flaky systems that were difficult to diagnose and it stemmed from low CMOS batt. voltage. I pull & test it; I pretty much replace it most of the time, unless the PC is under a year old and the batt. has very good voltage.

I feel it is good practice to reset the CMOS/BIOS. That way, you have that possibility rules out right from the start. You won't lose any updates as they are programmed on the chip when it is flashed.

It is easy enough to reset the time/date when you start the PC & go into the BIOS initially.

The only ones I despise working with are those ridiculous Dell Laptop 3 wire batteries with the special connector/wires pre-soldered to the battery from the factory. Those can be a pain as I don't readily have them in stock.

Otherwise, as RichmondTech mentioned, the batteries are cheap enough. I use a voltmeter as well - I am not aware of any other method.

If you do a lot of them (as I do) you can buy them in lots on ebay - works out to something like .50 ea. Nice little profit on those.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:34 PM

phaZed is a jewel in the roughphaZed is a jewel in the roughphaZed is a jewel in the rough

Being able to read the CMOS battery voltage will need to be a feature of the Motherboard/BIOS... and many don't have it. My enthusiast ASUS board reads out the CMOS voltage in BIOS, but my ASRock doesn't (and it's a higher end board too). Can't recall ever seeing the CMOS voltage in an OS before.

I would go as far to say (With no proof) that there is not really a standardized method in which to read the CMOS battery, but rather board makers have added their proprietary methods to read the voltage in BIOS as a value-added feature.

Aaron Heidlebaugh
Computer Technician / Owner
www.AaronsPCSupport.com
804-307-4465 (Call or Text)
Laptop LCD repair | DC Power Jack Repair | Virus Removal
Desktop Repair | Hardware | Software | Troubleshooting