Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Networking

Technibble Sponsor

Old 09-08-2008, 01:51 PM

dcstek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Terminal server - printer issue

I have a client with 2 remote locations, the server is 2003 and they all use terminal server to run their application. They print through the terminal server but when the server goes down unexpectedly they loose the universal PCL6 printer on the server and it has to be added again each time. I have added a UPS to keep the server running on outages but it is an annoying problem to have to add the printer each time it goes down. Anyone have an iidea how th fix the issue?

D
Old 09-08-2008, 06:11 PM

TimeCode is on a distinguished road
Default Print Server

Is this their ONLY server or are there others? If there is another, set the other one up as a Print Server. What kind of printer is this and how are the drivers? Stable? What if you change the drivers, many come with both PCL6 and PCL5 drivers. Might 5 be more stable?
Old 09-08-2008, 07:09 PM

Blues is on a distinguished road

If it is a profile setting and they aren't logging off ever before it crashes then the settings never saved and the printer is missing at next boot. I have added the printer underadministrator login and log off and then everyone can usually view it and find it. I forget the specifics for the configuration for all to view it but it was simple that way. We run Windows Server 2003 R2 and we sometimes have sudden shutdowns and or forced shutdowns and haven't seen this though.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:44 PM

dcstek is an unknown quantity at this point

No other server, one site has an hp m2727 mfp and the other remote site uses an officejet k80. These are attached to a single PC and shared at the site. Obviously not the best setup and I just started with this client and making major changes isn't received well.

Blues - It does appear it only happens on a power outage and not always with remote sites logged on. Both sites log off at night and the server supposedly does not get shut down. They did have a faulty UPS which I promptly replaced and have not had an indecent since... go figure.