Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 11-11-2011, 04:15 AM

computerdoc is on a distinguished road
Default Recover data from bad hard drive

The drive in my laptop crashed. It would not boot so I booted from an XP cd and got into the recovery console.

I ran a chkdsk /r which ran for a long time and finally got hung at 50% for a whole night. The laptop or perhaps the drive started making popping and clicking noises near the end of the chkdsk.

What is the safest way to extract data from the drive?

If necessary, how much would a recovery service charge?
Old 11-11-2011, 06:39 AM

Xander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the rough

Safest way to extract data from a possibly-bad hard drive is NOT to run chkdsk on it overnight. Seriously. The fact that, by the end of it, it was popping and clicking means you (yes, you) probably killed it.

Image that sucker ASAP and, once the data has been backed up, -then- muck about with the drive.

Pricewise, I have a data backup rate (copy/paste within Windows); a 'basic' data recovery rate of $39 (boot with a live CD and copy over) and an 'advanced' of $79 which means I throw everything else I have at it.

New here? Watch this and read this. Remember, it's not our problem, it's yours so ask your questions well.
e.g. Make/Model#, Win version/SP#, BSOD 0x#. Consider posting Event Viewer logs, Autoruns exports or Speccy reports.
More info means better answers and less snark.

Don't be parasitic and only pose your own questions. Help others.

D7 question/idea/etc? Bring it to the D7 Forums.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 AM

MobileTechie has a spectacular aura aboutMobileTechie has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerdoc View Post
The drive in my laptop crashed. It would not boot so I booted from an XP cd and got into the recovery console.

I ran a chkdsk /r which ran for a long time and finally got hung at 50% for a whole night. The laptop or perhaps the drive started making popping and clicking noises near the end of the chkdsk.

It depend whether you can mount the drive or not. Try mounting with a linux disk or with it slaved to another computer, and if you can see the data copy it off. if you can mount the drive but see no data then various data recovery tools might help.

if the drive has physical problems and you can mount it or worse you can't even see it in the BIOS then you have to send it away. The cost of that is unknowable at this point. Most of them will quote you for free.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:32 AM

gikstar is on the way

You may have to get down and dirty with the freezer trick to help you get the data off the drive.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:05 AM

irishtech is an unknown quantity at this point

i have had lots of success with spinrite and getdataback., only if the BIOS is detecting the hard drive though

Last edited by irishtech; 11-11-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:31 PM

gikstar is on the way

The problem with programs like Getdataback... your hard drive must be able to continue running. With his hard drive clicking as it is, I suspect that the hard drive may freeze up at any time making it even more difficult (expensive) to get his data back.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:02 PM

Karlin High is an unknown quantity at this point

My current favorite data recovery program is ddrescue, mainly because it doesn't quit if the drive gives an I/O error. If you need to send the drive off to recovery service lab, the one time I got prices I was seeing $700 to $2,000 USD. So far, none of my customers have been willing to pay that much.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:31 PM

Xander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the rough

I just had a customer go through 300dollardatarecovery. His Outlook PST was in a dead sector and nothing I tried would pull it out. Brian (300ddr) has already recovered it and, last I heard a few days ago, they were just finishing off payment/shipping arrangements.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:51 PM

ZenMike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gikstar View Post
The problem with programs like Getdataback... your hard drive must be able to continue running. With his hard drive clicking as it is, I suspect that the hard drive may freeze up at any time making it even more difficult (expensive) to get his data back.
Second SpinRite. I've had the most luck with SpinRite in exactly this scenario.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:12 PM

parker.casey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerdoc View Post

If a drive is questionable, ALWAYS make a bit-for-bit image before continuing. I like RedoBackup.

Tags
hard drive crash, recovery service