Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 11-01-2011, 09:01 AM

Petetech888 can only hope to improve
Default Trying to boot from XP HDD using a RAID controller.

Hi, as mentioned above I am trying to boot from XP IDE HDD with the jumper set to cable select using a RAID controller as the first boot device.
I have little or no experience with using a RAID controller.

MB Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2P MATX VGA LGA775 DDR3
CPU Intel Pentium Dual Core E6600 3.06GHz 2MB LGA775
RAM Adata 2GB DDR3 1333 DIMM
PSU Hyena 350W ATX
HDD 160GB 8MB 7200RPM 3.5" IDE HDD
Controller CMD Technology Silicon Image SiI 0680 Ultra-133 Medley ATA RAID Controller

First, is it possible to boot a system using a RAID Controller to boot from?
Old 11-01-2011, 01:20 PM

NETWizz has a spectacular aura aboutNETWizz has a spectacular aura about

Look in the manual for your Motherboard, it should tell you how to setup RAID.

Obviously, you will need 2 or More Hard Disks RAIDed together. For the purpose of detection of drives, Cable Select should be fine - HP and Dell used to use it all the time.

Here is the key... Drives toward the far end of the cable are Primary Master. You should be using the 80 wire cable (not the 40 wire cable) for any Hard Disk ATA66 or greater (i.e. ATA100 and ATA133).

For maximum speed, you should have each disk on a separate IDE cable and by convention they should both be at the far ends.

Proposal:
Primary Master: Hard Drive (Cable Select)
Secondary Master: Hard Drive (Cable Select)
Secondary Slave: Optical Drive (Cable Select)

Both cables the 80 wire type.

Typically, you would then go into your BIOS and turn on the RAID controller and somehow specify the Primary Master and Secondary Master to be be handled by the RAID controller.

Now, when you boot, you will get some type of option ROM for Silicon Image SiI 0680 RAID. [Press whatever key it says]

Select both of your disks and create either a RAID 1 (Mirror) or RAID 0 (Stripped) set. When you confirm to "Initialize" the Array, all data on those drives will be erased. You will probably have to flag the array as bootable in the Option ROM; since, you can generally create more than one array (it is possible).

After you set this up, the Array will probably show up in the Boot Order in your BIOS. If you have any other hard disks, set the order etc. At this point the RAIDED drives will act as a single drive.

At this point, just run Windows Setup.

If Windows XP says it can't find any hard drives then you will need to integrate the XP drivers into TxtMode setup for the Silicon Image SiI 0680 RAID controller... or put the driver on a floppy and hit F6 for SCSI and RAID controllers when prompted.

It is easiest to just use Nlite and burn another CD in my opinion should you need to integrate RAID drivers.

Last edited by NETWizz; 11-01-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:21 PM

Petetech888 can only hope to improve

Excellent thanks, I really needed an answer. Cheers.
It worked a treat, we backed the drive up, then after cloning the drive with Norton's (the only Norton's product I will ever use), shut down, detached the rebuilt the SATA HDD (made from the original IDE HDD) restarted, altered the boot sequence to set the RAID controller as first boot device then restarted. it worked perfectly.
Thanks again.

Last edited by Petetech888; 11-01-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Updated.