Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 10-18-2011, 10:15 AM

rudger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Data corrupted by move command

OK I Have a weird question.

I Have an old PC on the desk at the moment it is connected to a CNC machine and I have been called out today to look at the PC as the customer has had a 3rd party out to site to look at the CNC Machine and decided to update the software on the machine before doing this acked up the data and configuration files using move command, when onsite looking at the history I found they have used the following command

md cncback
move cnc cncback\cnc
move cncconf cncback\cncconf

looking at the PC i can now see a folder called cncback and a file called cncback, the cncback folder is empty but the cncback FILE is around 50MB so i presume that the folders have been moved into a single file - so my question is, is it possible to get the files back out of this file.

this PC is an old Pentium 1 machine running MS DOS 6.22

unfortunately the customer is totally stuck as there has never been a backup of the software made.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 AM

Paul Rodgers will become famous soon enough

I would try adding .zip to the filename. I'm assuming that everything was compressed into a .zip file but the extension wasn't added.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:32 AM

I wondered about this myself, im just copying the file off the HDD onto my Test machine so I can test a copy of the file on a different machine so I dont worry about data corruption.

I just thought that this may be a mistake thats been made before and someone knows the quick answer.

the annoying thing is Why did they use move instead of xcopy or copy I will never know

Last edited by rudger; 10-18-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:16 PM

Looks like panic over, I could not copy the data from the HDD onto my Test machine kept erroring, so ran chkdsk on the Drive, and found errors and repaired them... strangely when I ran scandisk & chkdsk on the drive when it was in the origional machine it did not throw any errors up, yet chkdsk on from my test PC found errors repaired them and the cncback file disappeared and I could change directory into the cncback folder and all the files and folders appear there and working fine.