Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 09-24-2011, 12:22 AM

BDPCR is on a distinguished road
Default LCD Question.

I have an HP dv5 -1002nr in the shop and im running into this problem for the first time. The screen on the LCD is dim, naturally one would think inverter or back-light. I have about 10 cracked LCDs i keep around the shop to test just for such problems. I hooked up a good known working back-light (attached to a cracked lcd) followed by 2 more and the screens are still dim, i already tried the brightness setting and hooking up to an external monitor shows a perfect display. I purchased a new inverter and the display is still dim, my next course of action is to replace the lcd cable, perhaps the inverter power leads are damaged. has anyone encountered this, a dim display caused by a faulty lcd cable?
Old 09-24-2011, 01:09 AM

phaZed is a jewel in the roughphaZed is a jewel in the roughphaZed is a jewel in the rough

It very well may be a cable that is bad. Generally these things have an input of 3-5v, 3v being the dimmest, and 5v being the brightest. If that wire is broken it would be conceivable that the inverter is seeing 0v on that input and giving you the lowest light.

Haven't personally seen it before though.

Aaron Heidlebaugh
Computer Technician / Owner
www.AaronsPCSupport.com
804-307-4465 (Call or Text)
Laptop LCD repair | DC Power Jack Repair | Virus Removal
Desktop Repair | Hardware | Software | Troubleshooting
Old 09-24-2011, 03:35 PM

To make things even funner i can't even find a reference to a magnetic lid switch..
Old 09-29-2011, 03:48 PM

Just for reference, the problem was indeed an electrical cable in the LCD cable bundle that had broken with time and torsion. This cable provided power for the inverter, never discard the LCD cable as a possibility with a dim screen suggesting the problem to only be an inverter problem or backlight.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:20 PM

mraikes is just really nicemraikes is just really nicemraikes is just really nicemraikes is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDPCR View Post
Just for reference, the problem was indeed an electrical cable in the LCD cable bundle that had broken with time and torsion. This cable provided power for the inverter, never discard the LCD cable as a possibility with a dim screen suggesting the problem to only be an inverter problem or backlight.
Excellent point and interesting lesson. Thanks for closing the loop!

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a ukulele. And that's pretty close." Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-29-2011, 06:14 PM

xxsilk109xx is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in a similar situation. I have a dell inspiron 1501.

Hooked up to external monitor it works fine.
Screen is dim and then you see nothing.
I have changed the screen, lcd inverter and lcd cable and I get the same results.

I guess its the port that the lcd cable plugs into/motherboard replacement?
Old 09-29-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsilk109xx View Post
I am in a similar situation. I have a dell inspiron 1501.

Hooked up to external monitor it works fine.
Screen is dim and then you see nothing.
I have changed the screen, lcd inverter and lcd cable and I get the same results.

I guess its the port that the lcd cable plugs into/motherboard replacement?
Check the lid switch before even considering the port, the lid switches are either mechanical or magnetic. They can both fail, find out where the lid switch is on that machine also disable the lid switch in the OS, in vista and W7 it is in power options. Sometimes you can unplug the lid switch from the system board and circumvent the lid switch all together to narrow down the issue. If a lid switch stays closed the lcd will have its back-light turned off so regardless of what you do no power makes it to the inverter. Let me know if you resolve this.

Last edited by BDPCR; 09-29-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 PM

xxsilk109xx is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDPCR View Post
Check the lid switch before even considering the port, the lid switches are either mechanical or magnetic. They can both fail, find out where the lid switch is on that machine also disable the lid switch in the OS, in vista and W7 it is in power options. Sometimes you can unplug the lid switch from the system board and circumvent the lid switch all together to narrow down the issue. If a lid switch stays closed the lcd will have its back-light turned off so regardless of what you do no power makes it to the inverter. Let me know if you resolve this.
You sir are a F****** GENIUS! IT worked, I found the lid switch, unhooked it from the motherboard and now I can see the screen!!!

Thanks soooooooooo much, you just saved me a lot of money..and my client too.

One question, so if the client closes the computer it will not actually put it to sleep so they need to actually shut it down or put it to sleep manually?
Old 09-30-2011, 12:30 AM

Yeah the lid switch serves 2 roles in some machines it puts the laptop on standby and shuts down the lcd backlight. Offer a replacement for your fee of course, they sell the switches on ebay make sure you find just the right part on ebay take your time. You can set the pc to go to sleep by simply pressing the power button ensure this is set on power options in OS. I'm glad i could help, and good luck with your business.