Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 09-19-2011, 12:24 AM

RichmondTech will become famous soon enough
Default What Kind of Desktop Case Do You Like?

I'm looking to build a desktop computer for some gaming and it's been forever since I've had to buy a case. Call me crazy, but when I think of computer case I tend to lean towards something inexpensive. After all, it's going to sit out of the way under a table or desk. I don't need anything with LED lights or window cutouts.

Do you find there is anything to a computer case other than a standard 8-10 bay case? What cases do you like? Something available from Amazon would be preferred since I have some gift cards I could use.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:27 AM

As an example, this is kinda what I had in mind.

http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Tower...=pd_sim_sbs_e1
Old 09-19-2011, 01:32 AM

TopLevelComp is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TopLevelComp Send a message via Skype™ to TopLevelComp

I've been a fan of Coolermaster cases for years. Absolutely love them.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:01 AM

Rosco is on a distinguished road

i usually buy rosewell. never had a problem with them and the price is right!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
C:\WINDOWS C:\WINDOWS\GO C:\PC\CRAWL
Nibbler for life
Old 09-19-2011, 07:07 PM

ATTech is on a distinguished road

I've always had Lian-Li cases for my gaming machines back when I was really into it. They were slightly more expensive than the run-of-the mill ones you can find on Newegg/Amazon, but they were sleek, and better for cooling.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:29 PM

dgiles79 is on a distinguished road

I like the Antec cases (in particular, the Dark Force ones). I have the DF-35. It might be a little expensive for what you're looking for (around $100), but I like it for the built in hot swap drive bays, and fan speed controls etc.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:46 PM

ProTech Support is on the way

Newegg just posted up a sale of some Antec gaming cases. Figured you might be interested. When I was building custom PC's, they were the only cases I used.

http://promotions.newegg.com/Antec/0...c=SNC-Facebook

I follow them on Facebook, which is where I got the link. Might want to do that, they usually post some good deals.

Technibble is a place for professionals, so lets keep it professional.

ProTech Hosting - Website Hosting, Domain Registration, & Internet Services!

Special discount on website hosting for TechNibble members, send me a message for more information!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondTech View Post
I'm looking to build a desktop computer for some gaming and it's been forever since I've had to buy a case. Call me crazy, but when I think of computer case I tend to lean towards something inexpensive. After all, it's going to sit out of the way under a table or desk. I don't need anything with LED lights or window cutouts.
So I linked to a case that costs about $25 and everyone likes cases that are $50 - $150. I know I'm gonna catch some heat when I ask this but what's the difference?

The Antec link for example. I like Antec and all, but $100 - $140 for a computer case is crazy. I can get my case, a power supply, and maybe some memory for that kind of money. While I will be doing some gaming, this is not going to be a gaming rig and I'm not looking to dazzle people with my LEDs and carry it to LAN parties (do they even still do those?)

I guess another question is "do companies make $140 cases because people will pay $140 for it?" or are there significant improvements over my $25 linked case? I guess the common answer would be "you get better airflow" which I will say right now does not count as a quality answer.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:06 PM

ProTech Support is on the way

The $25 cases are usually nice when it comes to cosmetics, but they are not very rugged. Usually they consist of plastic inner parts that tend to snap very easily. For example, early in my building days I used to order those cases, and the hard drive bays would always give me problems. Specifically the ones that the hard drive just snaps into. Too much force and the mount snaps...now you need to rig the hard drive or deem the case useless.

That being said, the $100 cases are usually all made of stronger material that do not snap or bend. Which makes me happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondTech View Post
So I linked to a case that costs about $25 and everyone likes cases that are $50 - $150. I know I'm gonna catch some heat when I ask this but what's the difference?

The Antec link for example. I like Antec and all, but $100 - $140 for a computer case is crazy. I can get my case, a power supply, and maybe some memory for that kind of money. While I will be doing some gaming, this is not going to be a gaming rig and I'm not looking to dazzle people with my LEDs and carry it to LAN parties (do they even still do those?)

I guess another question is "do companies make $140 cases because people will pay $140 for it?" or are there significant improvements over my $25 linked case? I guess the common answer would be "you get better airflow" which I will say right now does not count as a quality answer.

Technibble is a place for professionals, so lets keep it professional.

ProTech Hosting - Website Hosting, Domain Registration, & Internet Services!

Special discount on website hosting for TechNibble members, send me a message for more information!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:24 PM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTech Support View Post
The $25 cases are usually nice when it comes to cosmetics, but they are not very rugged.

^ what he said.

Budget cases are not worth the few dollars you save. I'd go for a mid-range brand name case: coolermaster, antec, lian-li, avoid the cheapo units as they are fine to put things into, however they dont take knocks and bumps well, and if you have to take things out and put them back in cheap cases will start to break/bend/dent/snap .... just not worth the hassle IMO

Last edited by 16k_zx81; 09-20-2011 at 07:48 PM.