Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 09-18-2011, 09:06 PM

bytebuster is on a distinguished road
Default How to test a laptop wireless card?

I had a call where a woman said her laptop would no longer connect to the internet using Wi-Fi. I couldn't think of what it might be or how I might test for it off the bat, so I turned that job down. Later I thought that her built in wireless card might be bad, BUT I still have no idea how to test a wireless card to see if it's good. It's my policy to not do any unnecessary repairs, so I was wondering if I get something like this again, how do I test the wi-fi card?
http://www.bytebustermcr.com/
Old 09-18-2011, 09:14 PM

PC Ops will become famous soon enough

Just bring along a known good card and try it on the laptop in question... I always have some in stock, I guess most of us have?

Edit: could ofcourse be something else. I don't see why you would turn this one down

Last edited by PC Ops; 09-18-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:50 PM

phaZed is a jewel in the roughphaZed is a jewel in the roughphaZed is a jewel in the rough

Man, don't turn down money! Most of the time WIFI connectivity issues are related to the WEP/WPA keys being wrong. I also don't let the customer decide what the problem is... WIFI not working? Fine. The card is bad? Well, let's see.

I make good money from the "My WIFI printer doesn't work" or "my laptop won't connect to the internet" jobs. Easy work, fast, and desirable outcomes virtually every time.

Aaron Heidlebaugh
Computer Technician / Owner
www.AaronsPCSupport.com
804-307-4465 (Call or Text)
Laptop LCD repair | DC Power Jack Repair | Virus Removal
Desktop Repair | Hardware | Software | Troubleshooting
Old 09-19-2011, 01:17 AM

RichmondTech will become famous soon enough

I've taken jobs where clients can't get on the Internet via wifi. Turns out someone presses the button to turn off wifi. Easy money.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:32 AM

johnrobert is on a distinguished road

I have never come across a bad Wi-Fi card
Gazillions of connectivity problems, That’s half the business

It usually never is what you think beforehand

Last edited by johnrobert; 09-19-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:39 AM

trapped is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to trapped Send a message via Yahoo to trapped

I actually had a bad WiFi card once. Somehow a piece of metal got in the area of the card and fried a chip (it was literally burned). Tested it with one of mine and it worked fine so she got lucky that nothing else was damaged.

Get a Geek. Get it Done.

Computer, Networking, and Home Theater installation, service and repair in the Greater Sacramento, CA Region.

http://www.thecomputergeeks.com
Old 09-19-2011, 03:08 AM

Rosco is on a distinguished road

yea problem like those are great! easy money! I have had customers call about virus removal and when i got there there hard drive had failed! The customer is calling because they dont know how to fix it. So they might not know what the problem is either. When you turn down the easy jobs what do you do about the hard ones? Sorry if i sound harsh this is only meant to help!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
C:\WINDOWS C:\WINDOWS\GO C:\PC\CRAWL
Nibbler for life
Old 09-19-2011, 09:18 AM

carlitos31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default my take

2 times the slot for the wifi was bad. And I sold a Mini USB wifi card to one and a pc card to the other, problem solved.
8 out of 10 of these problems results on "FN + hot key" or an actual switch that was turned off.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:13 PM

bytebuster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobscomputerservice View Post
yea problem like those are great! easy money! I have had customers call about virus removal and when i got there there hard drive had failed! The customer is calling because they dont know how to fix it. So they might not know what the problem is either. When you turn down the easy jobs what do you do about the hard ones? Sorry if i sound harsh this is only meant to help!
Keep in mind that I was trained on desktops, not laptops. I have had to learn laptop repair over the internet, and via forums. Usually if I can't think of what it is over the phone, I usually am embarrassed to go out there and be subjected to a barrage of "You're the repairman! You shouldn't NEED to run diagnostics!" and such. It's happened so often that it's got to the point where I don't have much self-confidence. I didn't have much self-confidence to start out with, and when I went into business in 2009 everybody was asking for DC jacks, which I couldn't do, so after that experience I just sort of shut down for a while. I learned soldering, but never really got the business back off the ground. My laptop training consisted of "they have a lot of screws, and they're really complicated, and you really don't want to mess with them if you can avoid it". My teacher was older than the hills and was really uncomfortable around laptops.
http://www.bytebustermcr.com/
Old 09-19-2011, 08:26 PM

dgiles79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytebuster View Post
Keep in mind that I was trained on desktops, not laptops. I have had to learn laptop repair over the internet, and via forums. Usually if I can't think of what it is over the phone, I usually am embarrassed to go out there and be subjected to a barrage of "You're the repairman! You shouldn't NEED to run diagnostics!" and such. It's happened so often that it's got to the point where I don't have much self-confidence. I didn't have much self-confidence to start out with, and when I went into business in 2009 everybody was asking for DC jacks, which I couldn't do, so after that experience I just sort of shut down for a while. I learned soldering, but never really got the business back off the ground. My laptop training consisted of "they have a lot of screws, and they're really complicated, and you really don't want to mess with them if you can avoid it". My teacher was older than the hills and was really uncomfortable around laptops.
You could try picking up some laptops off craigslist. Around here, you can usually get ones that need repair for $40 or so. Then practice stripping them done, repairing the jack, the screen, or whatever it need.

Once you're done, you will have more experience, and you can also sell the laptops you fixed!