Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 09-13-2011, 09:07 PM

shamrin will become famous soon enough
Default Laplink PCMover to migrate from XP to Win7

I've seen questions about this software on here before but never seen a message from anyone foolish enough to try and use it.

The idea with this is that you CAN move all your files and programs from XP to Windows 7 by using this software. I was very skeptical but had a special-case customer where I decided to try it. The bottom line - it worked just fine. I ended up moving a bunch of old games and even Netscape 7.0 from her old XP machine to a new Windows 7 one (more detailed explanation of the procedure here). There were some programs that didn't make the leap, Office XP is complaining about wanting to be activated (and wants the original disc), Quicken 2002 didn't move (but this is program that doesn't even install in the Program Files directory so...) but most of them did.

I have read a lot of reviews from people who hated this software, but it worked great for me. I would use it again if the situation called for it.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:39 AM

red12049 has a spectacular aura aboutred12049 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrin View Post
I've seen questions about this software on here before but never seen a message from anyone foolish enough to try and use it.

The idea with this is that you CAN move all your files and programs from XP to Windows 7 by using this software. I was very skeptical but had a special-case customer where I decided to try it. The bottom line - it worked just fine. I ended up moving a bunch of old games and even Netscape 7.0 from her old XP machine to a new Windows 7 one (more detailed explanation of the procedure here). There were some programs that didn't make the leap, Office XP is complaining about wanting to be activated (and wants the original disc), Quicken 2002 didn't move (but this is program that doesn't even install in the Program Files directory so...) but most of them did.

I have read a lot of reviews from people who hated this software, but it worked great for me. I would use it again if the situation called for it.
We se it frequently. Saved more than one customer's bacon. I've even used it in a VM if the customer's machine had died. Talked about it on here long ago.

Rick
Old 09-14-2011, 03:23 PM

iladelf is an unknown quantity at this point

Another positive vote from me on PCMover; have used it several times, and has been very successful, with a few programs (VERY few) not surviving the transfer.

However, what's weird is that I found that XP to 7 transfers worked better than a Vista to 7 transfer...I had more issues to clean up after the Vista/7 move. Odd, considering how Vista and 7 are nearly the same animal.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:38 PM

Xander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the rough

Another app to try is "PickMeApp". I keep forgetting about it so I haven't really tested it. It can't bring over everything. Office, for example, needs a reg entry exported manually for some reason.

It's free, though.
http://pickmeapp.com/pickmeapp

New here? Watch this and read this. Remember, it's not our problem, it's yours so ask your questions well.
e.g. Make/Model#, Win version/SP#, BSOD 0x#. Consider posting Event Viewer logs, Autoruns exports or Speccy reports.
More info means better answers and less snark.

Don't be parasitic and only pose your own questions. Help others.

D7 question/idea/etc? Bring it to the D7 Forums.