Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Computer Deals

Technibble Sponsor

Old 09-10-2011, 07:24 AM

livpie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working with Nonprofits

I just started working with a new nonprofit and they introduced me to techsoup.org. The website provides software, hardware, etc. as fantastic prices for non-profit organizations. Hopefully you will be able to help out some of your clients by introducing them to this site.

Best to all,
Tom
Old 09-10-2011, 12:12 PM

Thedog is an unknown quantity at this point

Great idea, to bad im not in US! Can anyone give me a greencard and I might move?
Old 09-10-2011, 01:13 PM

livpie is an unknown quantity at this point

I could probably work to get you a green card but when you got here you would probably find out that people who have a green card are not eligible for any type of non-profit status.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:29 PM

Thedog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by livpie View Post
I could probably work to get you a green card but when you got here you would probably find out that people who have a green card are not eligible for any type of non-profit status.
Nah, It wasn't that I wanted to do some non-profit stuff I Just think that so much more things such as this site exists in the US and my country got nothing... so just want to work in US overall lol
Old 09-10-2011, 04:18 PM

Xander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really nice

http://www.techsoupcanada.ca/
I've signed up but that's it so far.

I'm waiting to hear back from the non-profit my wife works at to see if they have any budget at all. They've got a 25-seat computer lab for kids and, from what I can see, nothing in place at all for security, maintenance, anything; just 25 donated laptops on a wifi router. I'd like to pitch them a proper setup, some regular maintenance, and get an image done for backup but, if they have zero budget, I can't afford that much time.

New here? Watch this and read this. Remember, it's not our problem, it's yours so ask your questions well.
e.g. Make/Model#, Win version/SP#, BSOD 0x#. Consider posting Event Viewer logs, Autoruns exports or something.
More info means better answers and less snark.

Don't be parasitic and only pose your own questions. Help others.
Never trust a "tech" with a hotmail address.

D7 question/idea/etc? Bring it to the D7 Forums.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:05 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by livpie View Post
I just started working with a new nonprofit and they introduced me to techsoup.org. The website provides software, hardware, etc. as fantastic prices for non-profit organizations. Hopefully you will be able to help out some of your clients by introducing them to this site.

Best to all,
Tom
Something your non-profit clients should know about Techsoup:

Say you need 10 copies of MS Office, great. However, you can only make the purchase ONCE A YEAR.

So if they plan to expand and you will need more copies of MS Office before a year is up, you'd better plan ahead for that and order all you *think* you are going to need.

Discovered that the hard way when my main N-P client needed to expand. We ended up having to pay quite a bit more to get them from TechData's non-profit program when Techsoup told us we couldn't order any more until next year!

So just remember, order more than your client will think they need. Even a strapped for cash non-profit shouldn't care if you got a few extra copies, as incredibly cheap as they are!!! They will thank you for it later.

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Author of CryptoPrevent - Crypto/Malware prevention for any OS.

Latest free tool: dBug - Neutralize malware preventing you from running removal tools.

NEW d7II single technician pricing!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:17 PM

Xander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really nice

Excellent point, Nick.

Also worth knowing that you can create separate accounts for each non-profit you represent.

New here? Watch this and read this. Remember, it's not our problem, it's yours so ask your questions well.
e.g. Make/Model#, Win version/SP#, BSOD 0x#. Consider posting Event Viewer logs, Autoruns exports or something.
More info means better answers and less snark.

Don't be parasitic and only pose your own questions. Help others.
Never trust a "tech" with a hotmail address.

D7 question/idea/etc? Bring it to the D7 Forums.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:32 PM

CarrobesIT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishTech View Post
However, you can only make the purchase ONCE A YEAR.
Nope, the rules have changed - TechSoup Blog - MS Changes

You can now order as many times as you like during the year, you no longer have a 5 license minimum ( so no more buying the cheapest CALs just to make up the extras) and the maximum title groups has been increased from 6 to 10.

Along with this, if you have already purchased MS software from TechSoup, your two-year cycle has been reset so it starts again on the date of your next purchase.

For those of you in the UK, the MS, Symantec & Cisco donation programs are run through the Charities Technology Exchange but the rules remain the same as for TechSoup.

Hope that helps.

RobC.
Carrobes IT.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:47 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

Wow, thanks for the info! That's great to know. My N-P might want to expand again soon and that will help a lot!

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Author of CryptoPrevent - Crypto/Malware prevention for any OS.

Latest free tool: dBug - Neutralize malware preventing you from running removal tools.

NEW d7II single technician pricing!