Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 09-05-2011, 01:01 AM

RichmondTech will become famous soon enough
Default Deus Ex: Human Revolution on Xbox 360 or PC?

Loved the first Deus Ex, so I'm gonna snag a good deal from Amazon. On one hand I've never been any good at FPS games on consoles. On the other hand my only computer is my HP dv4 (AMD Turion 2 dual-core @ 2.3GHz, 4GB RAM, ATi Radeon HD 4200). The most recent game I have on it that works fine is Team Fortress 2.

What do you think? Either way, I'm sure it's going to be an enjoyable 30 hours.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:08 AM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

I dont get why anyone would ever play an FPS game on a console if there's a capable PC nearby. Unless you can plug a mouse into it, its not going to be as fun.

Just my 5c
Old 09-05-2011, 03:20 AM

I hear that. My main concern with console FPS games center around aiming fast enough, but if the Halo and BF3 people can get it I don't see why I couldn't.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:03 AM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondTech View Post
I hear that. My main concern with console FPS games center around aiming fast enough, but if the Halo and BF3 people can get it I don't see why I couldn't.
Its because they are freaks of nature who should be feared and despised for their bizarre and unnatural habits. I fear that if you are recruited into their cult you may never return.

Your aspiration is, frankly, disturbing to me....

Last edited by 16k_zx81; 09-05-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:37 AM

Went ahead with the PC version today. Installed fine and ran smooth until you get to where you actually start playing. I knew I should have gone with the console version. I don't see why designers spend so many resources on graphics effects that bog down a computer.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

Methical will become famous soon enough

I was debating the same thing when I decided to jump on the band-wagon, and purchase Black Ops ..

Watching Youtube, clips, I don't know how ppl can be so fast, and accurate on a gamepad with their aiming. Freaks of nature is right lol.

So I went PC version; and went all out and bought a new kb, mouse, headset and mousepad from Razer. It really does make a difference having the new gear; its tripled my KDR
Old 09-06-2011, 08:50 AM

Fixedathome.com is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Went ahead with the PC version today. Installed fine and ran smooth until you get to where you actually start playing. I knew I should have gone with the console version. I don't see why designers spend so many resources on graphics effects that bog down a computer.
A laptop is never going to cut it for playing the latest games unless it is a dedicated (and usually expensive) gaming laptop.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedathome.com View Post
A laptop is never going to cut it for playing the latest games unless it is a dedicated (and usually expensive) gaming laptop.
"gaming laptop" is an oxymoron
Old 09-06-2011, 10:40 AM

MrUnknown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Because it makes them look nice.

Quote:
Console games make heavy use of aim assist.

Anyway, I am about halfway through on the console version. Plays perfectly fine but I am used to FPS on a console now (used to be only a PC gamer). It does take a while getting used to, but it is perfectly possible and fairly easy once you get used to it.

However, a game pad is no replacement for a mouse and keyboard. I will be building a gaming PC as a Christmas gift to myself. At least I am hoping for it. Simply for Battlefield 3.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:48 AM

Location: Santa Barbara, California, United States of America
ptrinh1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DX:HR is a very enjoyable game, lost many hours on it!

RichmondTech,

I actually went and purchased the PC version of DX:HR on PC via Steam when it came out. Like you I was a fan of the original Deus Ex. I was actually torn between the two - the PC version, I heard had been given the TLC that a PC game deserves, unlike some of the recent triple A game titles released within the last couple of years. At the same time, the Xbox 360 version was appealing because I could relax in a comfortable chair and play it on a large screen.

I think you can get some more performance out of it if you tweak some of the sittings a bit. Lower the resolution a notch or two, and set the details to medium to start out, maybe turn off some of the nicer effects. Because it is a single player game, I am expecting lower frames per second than many other gamers - 30fps is enough for me.

There is definitely replay value here, as well as a good amount of side quests - much more than 30 hours that you are expecting. According to Steam, I have put in 31 hours so far since I purchased it on Aug 23rd; and I am only in the second city.

I hope you are able to enjoy the game, if you haven't already.

Peter Trinh