Go Back   Technibble Forums > Service Solutions > Servers

Technibble Sponsor

Old 08-21-2011, 05:33 PM

Paul Rodgers will become famous soon enough
Default Server 2003 vpn help

I set up the built in VPN service with admittedly no real research and after rebuilding it a few times I think I'm close. My biggest problem now is that the network program I specifically set this up for is not opening properly. I think this is an optimization issue and I would appreciate any articles or suggestions on how to optimize the setup.

I am not going to rule out the possibility that this program is not designed for a VPN setup.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:10 PM

seedubya has a spectacular aura aboutseedubya has a spectacular aura about

Could you give a bit more info please? A VPN is basically a LAN extension via a secure pipe created over a WAN. Theoretically anything that will work on a LAN will work over VPN - allowing for network overhead etc.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:43 AM

Paul Rodgers will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubya View Post
Could you give a bit more info please? A VPN is basically a LAN extension via a secure pipe created over a WAN. Theoretically anything that will work on a LAN will work over VPN - allowing for network overhead etc.
After playing around with things on the laptop I realized that it is working, but it is extremely slow. It could be a slow network connection at the office or my home, but I'm guessing if both connections can handle a remote desktop connection then a VPN connection should be fine.

When I go into work tomorrow I will post information on the network architecture and the program. Currently we are running this program on remote computers via a terminal server. Those computers connect over a hardware VPN provided by a Netgear VPN firewall at each end and the laptops connect the same way minus the Netgear devices.

I'm also going to contact the programs developer and see if they have any ideas.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:30 AM

MobileGeeks is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest setting up point to point VPN using two Draytek or Sonicwall routers. That is of course that its between two offices rather than clients homes ect.

My biggest tip would be getting the office interent connection on a plan with the highest upload.

Myself have around 12 SBS 2003 clients using VPN.

Marcus

Guys check out Mobile Geeks new Computer Repairs Website!

Computer Repairs

PC Repairs

Computer Repairs Sydney