Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about
Default Blind people using computers

Last week I went and fixed a laptop being used by a totally blind person. I honestly think she is more computer able than 75% of the people whose computers I go out to. I'm amazed, she buys on Ebay, downloads books and Itunes music and many other things. She uses something called Jaws which is a speech program for a computer and she uses it at a blistering word rate I can hardly understand. She's been totally blind since she was 23 and has never used a computer with any sight. Has anyone else had any experiences like that?
Old 07-25-2011, 05:09 PM

Styxbound is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Great post, Martyn!_and a lesson for us all when we get to feeling sorry for ourselves.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:53 PM

PC Ops will become famous soon enough

Amazing how flexible some people are! Unbelievable.

I did some repairs for a man who had MS once. He sat in an electric wheelchair all day and was only able to move his neck and hands. He saw next to nothing, I believe between 5 and 10%. Very bad vision.
He had a HUGE screen and he worked his pc while almost pressing his face onto the screen. He had to move his face to the part of the screen that he wanted to see (where the magnifier was at).
This looked very, very tiring. But he managed and he didn't complain. Respect.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:34 PM

Cornerstone Technologies will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Cornerstone Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Ops View Post
Amazing how flexible some people are! Unbelievable.

I did some repairs for a man who had MS once. He sat in an electric wheelchair all day and was only able to move his neck and hands. He saw next to nothing, I believe between 5 and 10%. Very bad vision.
He had a HUGE screen and he worked his pc while almost pressing his face onto the screen. He had to move his face to the part of the screen that he wanted to see (where the magnifier was at).
This looked very, very tiring. But he managed and he didn't complain. Respect.
One of the best techs I ran across was nearly blind. He could see the same way you describe, by pressing his face as close to the screen as possible. He did have trouble doing this with some of the CRTs that the shop had, so they actually upgraded to all LCDs so this kid could do his magic. He was also an excellent programmer and taught me a few tricks when I was taking some programming classes.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:16 PM

TLE is on a distinguished road

One of my customers is virtually blind. She uses some special software called ZoomText which seriously magnifies the screen for her, even then she struggles. However, apart from helping her choose her new PC, and set up, she installed all the software and moved here data back across. She is also doing two degree's at the moment and one of them is in maths. The one thing I have to do is to work in a tidy manor and not leave anything in a place that it shouldn't be. That includes my tools and bags.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE View Post
One of my customers is virtually blind. She uses some special software called ZoomText which seriously magnifies the screen for her, even then she struggles. However, apart from helping her choose her new PC, and set up, she installed all the software and moved here data back across. She is also doing two degree's at the moment and one of them is in maths. The one thing I have to do is to work in a tidy manor and not leave anything in a place that it shouldn't be. That includes my tools and bags.
Yes I did the same, made sure my bag and folder were tucked out of harms way. I was just amazed how she could get around the house etc with no problems, offered me tea etc.

I had to remote in earlier tonight to set up Genius in Itunes for her. She had no problem going to my website and downloading TV and then giving me the ID and password. She has no sight at all, in fact she has glass eyes for cosmetic reasons!