Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-23-2011, 09:34 PM

jesse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default who did you use to form an llc?

planning to start off a part time computer repair company and i'm considering starting it as an llc. did you all use a lawyer, do it yourself or use a service such as legalzoom to form the llc?

thanks!
Old 07-23-2011, 09:36 PM

datadatau is an unknown quantity at this point

I utilized a lawyer, just because this was the easiest thing for me to do with all the other things that were going on. I have some friends that have used other methods, including their accountant and some that did it themselves. What I have heard from all of them, for the little bit of savings most of them wish they would have let someone else handle it.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:31 PM

IronSerif is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the process of submitting my paperwork on Monday. I did a lot of research and looked into options such as Legal Zoom and Incfile, but after talking to other small business owners as well as the Department of Assessments and Taxation in MD, I decided to just submit the paperwork myself and save some money.

I originally had wanted to go the Legal Zoom or IncFile route just to make sure I didn't miss anything, but for MD there is only the Articles of Organization for LLC that I need to fill out.

If you have any questions just call the proper department of your state...they'll let you know what you need!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:42 PM

jeubank is on a distinguished road

I just filled out the Incorporated paperwork from Arizona's Secretary of State website. Pretty self explanatory. Takes about 2 hours
Old 07-24-2011, 12:40 AM

RichmondTech will become famous soon enough

It's really an easy process, but I sat down with my accountant for an hour to have them process the paperwork, discuss what we need to do on a quarterly basis, tracking income/expenses, etc. Money well spent (not that it was a lot). It's nice to have people on your team!
Old 07-24-2011, 03:40 AM

Tony_Scarpelli has a spectacular aura aboutTony_Scarpelli has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
planning to start off a part time computer repair company and i'm considering starting it as an llc. did you all use a lawyer, do it yourself or use a service such as legalzoom to form the llc?

thanks!
It really depends on a few things:

First do you need a LLC? Keep it simple is the rule.

If you decide you really do need an LLC and then Do you have more money or more time right now? More money hire it done, if not, do it yourself. You don't say your location so I can't offer more help. Most states allow you to do it online with a visa. Your attorney and accountant will do it for you and they won't send you home to do it yourself just like we do not send home pc's to be restored with a recovery partition.

I ran my stores and business 17 years without an LLC or Corp. But when I got the size to sign $100k leases and $20k yellow page contracts I decided to Incorporate. I did mine own on the ks.gov site for $95. It is self explanatory.

However, I wouldn't do it for our California stores as they have a $800 per year filing fee and renewal. That is steep.

You can buy a book to tell you about the legal requirements to keep your LLC going and healthy its not near as onerous as a Corporation.

Basically keep your checking accounts and assets separate from personal to company. Don't mix money.

In our California stores we were required to buy general business and liability insurance anyway so we depend on that to cover any issues.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:56 AM

callthatgirl is a jewel in the roughcallthatgirl is a jewel in the roughcallthatgirl is a jewel in the rough

In Minnesota, it's as easy as signing up online and paying. I thought there was more to it, but nope. I paid $170 and checked out the rules online, was easy to do.

I LLC'd to protect my house.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:35 PM

nightkingdoms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeubank View Post
I just filled out the Incorporated paperwork from Arizona's Secretary of State website. Pretty self explanatory. Takes about 2 hours
Same here. I customized mine, but basically it just followed the form that the corporation commission gives. Fill it out, send it in with the payment, done.

Edit: Forgot, had to pay for the newspaper advertising, too and then their confirmation letter that it was done.

Last edited by nightkingdoms; 07-24-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: forgot the newspaper thing
Old 07-24-2011, 03:51 PM

Techless will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightkingdoms View Post
Same here. I customized mine, but basically it just followed the form that the corporation commission gives. Fill it out, send it in with the payment, done.

Edit: Forgot, had to pay for the newspaper advertising, too and then their confirmation letter that it was done.
Taking a guess here but do you live in New York?
Old 07-24-2011, 04:05 PM

nightkingdoms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Rodgers View Post
Taking a guess here but do you live in New York?
Nope, Arizona. That's why I quoted his post, same state.