Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-24-2011, 10:26 PM

Vicenarian has a spectacular aura aboutVicenarian has a spectacular aura about

Stick with the lower voltage memory.
2 Corinthians 5:21 "For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin (by dying in our place), so that we could be made right with God through Christ."
Old 07-24-2011, 10:29 PM

seedubya has a spectacular aura aboutseedubya has a spectacular aura about

My only contribution to this is to say that the most reliable machines I've ever come across are built by a wholesaler an hour's drive away. He builds workstations for high use environments - POS etc. These things never fail and he ONLY uses Intel boards.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:13 PM

joydivision will become famous soon enough

Just an update, spent 144 so far on:-

Coolermaster Elite 335 case
2 X 2GB 1333 Kingston RAM
Intel I3 2100 - I decided to go for the i3 because I would know the Pentium was a compromise. I think in the long term the i3 will be fine.

Now still stuck on the motherboard, and stuck with suppliers between Microsoft and SCAN, I think I will go with SCAN because they have a decent MSI board and WIn 7 is only 70 there.

Just got the motherboard and windows 7 to buy now.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:06 AM

Vicenarian has a spectacular aura aboutVicenarian has a spectacular aura about

Don't buy ANY motherboard that DOESN'T have solid caps...Sure, an intel board with the regular caps may last a long time, but solid caps are still FAR better.
2 Corinthians 5:21 "For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin (by dying in our place), so that we could be made right with God through Christ."
Old 07-25-2011, 12:28 AM

I still cannot make up my mind, I was going to get this, H67MA-E35 (B3) but some of the reviews of beeping at posts and the CPU lever being tricky put me off. I have paid 90 for my CPU and I know I will be paranoid as it is when I come to install it, although I've never had a problem with the recent 775s I have done.

Microdirect do have several in my price range but they don't state if it has the B3 revisions or don't have USB 3.0 despite the fact they have the H67 chipset.

I've never found it so hard to find a motherboard in all my life.

And yep I would rather have solid caps so I will avoid the old type, however there is a lot of other things which can make a board fail too.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:04 AM

This is probably my favourite now, but it has solid caps near the processor and important bits, but the PCI section still seem to use liquid caps.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Pr...5-DDR3-USB-3-0

Not sure what to do now. In my experience it is always the capacitors near the CPU which fail because that is the area which gets the most heat and perhaps these capacitors are charging and discharging at a higher rate too.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:14 AM

I really should be asleep now, (it is 3:10am!) but I have been doing a lot of research and I spent around 1 hour researching capacitors.

It seems some of the cheap motherboard manufacturers are using cheap solid state capacitors which might soon turn out to be another circa 2003 capacitor disaster when motherboards only ten dcapaictors thded to last a couple of years.

I am sure the Intel will have half decent caps around the CPU and the others are less critical. While I would like the Japanese capacitors I get in my HIFI equipment those motherboards are way out of my budget.

So I think I will go with the Intel because it meets the exact spec I need and it is within budget, and has the B3 revision on the SATA chipset.

While solid state capacitors are better, there is too much marketing hype in the budget sector, and they are being used as a gimick, e.g this 35 motherboard has SS caps so it must be good, well the problem seems to be is that there is a huge difference in quality between solid state capacitors.

Last edited by joydivision; 07-25-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:48 AM

andcorptech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubya View Post
My only contribution to this is to say that the most reliable machines I've ever come across are built by a wholesaler an hour's drive away. He builds workstations for high use environments - POS etc. These things never fail and he ONLY uses Intel boards.
Agreed here. I have built over 250 systems in the last 3 years. All Intel boards & CPU's. I have had so far 3 boards fail out of all of them. 2 of the failures were due to a batch of faulty card readers killing USB. thats a failure rate that speaks for itself.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:35 PM

Picked up the board this afternoon for just 65, looks like a decent quality unit with no frills. It does have a three year warranty too which is a nice bonus.

Waiting for the CPU, RAM and case to be delivered tomorrow.

I will buy Windows 7 from Amazon as it seems to be best price, and I am not in a rush as I can install it without the COA code until it arrives.

I just hope it all works, a bit paranoid about bending pins but I have built plenty of 775s without any issue.

I think I will be lazy though and use the stock paste on the fan, it will be less messy and as I am not overcloking it I am sure its plenty good enough.

One odd thing, the motherboard as a switch on it but no writing saying what it is, and the motherboard manual dosn't list it either. Is this a power switch?

Now got the bug and in the next few months will upgrade the PSU, graphics card, RAM to 8GB and get an SSD.

Total cost so far is 277. Rough costs:-
Motherboard 65.00
RAM 22.00
case 24.00
CPU 90
windows 7 home premium 64-bit 70.00
Delivery 6
Old 07-26-2011, 09:04 PM

Got it all up and running now, wow its so blistering fast, I feel like I can take advantage properly now of the 22mbps connection I have.

It too me less than ten seconds to download and install Spotify.

The intel motherboard is very good, I checked all the caps and they are made by Panasonic (Matsushita)