Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-23-2011, 01:48 PM

joydivision will become famous soon enough
Default Are intel motherboards any good?

My 4.5 year old AM2 motherboard has finally died this morning, I've known its been faulty for a while as it took a few attempts to POST but now its finally dead.

I need to build a new system, and I have decided the wait for the Bulldozer is just too long, o so it looks like I will be building a system around the i1155 socket and an I3 sandybridge.

I have seen this board

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Pr...1155-DDR3-mATX

Any reasons why not to buy it? It seems like a very good price considering it has four DDR3 slots and 1 x SATA 6. I am not interested in overclocking, it all all be stock.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:17 PM

Vicenarian has a spectacular aura aboutVicenarian has a spectacular aura about

Judging by the pics of that board, it uses the regular capacitors (yuck), and not solid caps. I would avoid it for that very reason.

Any reason why you're going with the B65 chipset? I would go H67/P67 if I were you.

When it comes to motherboards, I generally stick with Asus/Gigabyte, just because they tend to use the better components and offer better support than cheaper brands like ECS, etc.

You can pick up a nice H67 Asus/Gigabyte board here in Canada, for like $80. Add an i3 2100 for $120, and you have yourself a nice platform for around $200.

Also keep in mind, I've heard reports that the intel integrated video on the new sandy bridge chips doesn't play that well with linux. If you are going to run linux on this PC, you probably should think about investing in a dedicated video card.
2 Corinthians 5:21 "For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin (by dying in our place), so that we could be made right with God through Christ."
Old 07-23-2011, 02:56 PM

Thanks, I will just stick with Asus, they are expensive but I do love their boards.

Not really thought about chipsets, its not going to be for gaming but just my main PC, however it is to last for the next 3-5 years so may as well get something good.

I will be using my 8600GT for graphics, and my 400w FSP power supply.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joydivision View Post
Thanks, I will just stick with Asus, they are expensive but I do love their boards.

Not really thought about chipsets, its not going to be for gaming but just my main PC, however it is to last for the next 3-5 years so may as well get something good.

I will be using my 8600GT for graphics, and my 400w FSP power supply.

ASUS does make great boards. If they are available in your area, see if you can find a board with a z68 chipset. You can google for more info, but yeah, it's like H67 and P67 combined, which is nice. It's not a necessity, but if you can find one for the same price as a H/P67 board, then definitely consider it.

The 8600GT should do fine. The power supply might be ok, but if it's more than 4 years old, I would use a Corsair unit. You can get the cheaper Corsairs for like $40 here, sometimes for $20 after MIR

Currently using a Corsair 430CX to power my main PC (and I do just about everything on this PC):

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3
i3 2100
4GB Corsair DDR3
9800GT
Corsair 430CX PSU
WD Caviar Black

Oh, btw, make SURE you get a board that says it is a B3 revision!!!! VERY IMPORTANT!!!
2 Corinthians 5:21 "For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin (by dying in our place), so that we could be made right with God through Christ."
Old 07-23-2011, 05:52 PM

gikstar is on the way

If you keep your main system for 4-5 years then I would suggest that you spend the extra money and buy for your future needs.
Make sure you get Sata6 and USB3, upgrade your power supply and you might consider this Z68 motherboard:
Intel BOXDZ68DB LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121527

Shows good reviews and a decent price (only bad reviews are from idiots).

Personally, I'm sticking with my i7-860 for now and am waiting for the next round of Intel processors - should have even better video on the cpu chip.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:25 PM

I should add that is the only the motherboard which is that old, most of it is a lot newer. My hard drive for example is a 1TB SATA 6, so I will be wanting SATA 6. I don't remember how old the PSU is, but it has the PCI Express plugs and two SATA ones so it can't be that old.

I am on a bit of a budget too, so for now most my money will go on the case, motherboard and CPU, I will run without the 8600GT until I get the money to replace the PSU.

Also a traditional PCI port is a must as I have an audiophile sound card.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:25 PM

You should be able to run the 8600GT on that 400W PSU.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:15 AM

I have decided to go for an MSI Micro ATX board, it only has two DDR3 slots, but it has 32-bit PCI slot, SATA 3.0 and USB 3.0, it has been mentioned on my other thread I made a few weeks back when I was merely thinking of upgrading.

The board is 60

Now I need to make some savings, and looking at the benchmarks the Pentium G840 Sandybridge looks very good value and I could then upgrade to an I5 sandybridge if I feel the need later on when prices come down.

The G840 could always then be used in my bench system which is currently another AMD X2.

So I think I will save the 33 and go to with the Pentium, so my costs so far are:-

Coolermaster Micro ATX case 23
Windows 7.0 64B-BIT 70
MSI Motherboard 60
4GB RAM (2 X DDR3) 28
CPU 60.00

Which brings the total price to 238

Remember I have my 8600GT so I am not bothered about the poorer graphics offered b the Pentium variant. I also assume the micro ATX case will have room for my graphics card, maybe I am better spending 7 on a MIDI coolermaster. All this is such bad timing.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:28 AM

I feel well out of the loop now, but I don't really do that much hardware stuff.

I am trying to spec some RAM but I've noticed it some are 1.5v and some are 1.8v, am I right in thinking lower voltage will be more stable and produce less heat? Also will there be a jumper on the motherboard to set the correct voltage or is it automatic?

Edit I can get two 2 X DDR3 1.5 Kingston 1333Mhz at 1.5v, or 23 for OCZ Premium 1333Mhz stuff which has its own head spreaders, but they run at 1.8v.

This the motherboard I have decided on, solid state caps and H67 chipset with the B3 revision.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/265584

Last edited by joydivision; 07-24-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:35 AM

KompuKare is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joydivision View Post
I am trying to spec some RAM but I've noticed it some are 1.5v and some are 1.8v, am I right in thinking lower voltage will be more stable and produce less heat?
Not so much stable, the i3/i5/i7 IMC (Integrated Memory Controller: on the CPU die like with AMD) is only spec'ed for 1.5V although it seems to handle 1.65V okay. The other thing is that the DDR3 spec is supposed to be 1.5V anyhow so higher voltages are in effect factory overcloocked. Actually, while a higher voltage produces more heat it should be more stable not less (well where it doesn't have a chance of burning out the IMC).

BTW I keep away from OCZ since you have to RMA to the Netherlands...