Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-21-2011, 12:37 PM

gnawhalak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HP Pavilion DV6 Hard disk does not exist

Hello..

I got a HP DV6 in my shop.. customer sent it in because, loading and using windows 7 is suuper slow and hangs..

so i tried tinkering with it..

1. Initially, I entered safe mode. It loaded fine, and responds quicker inside windows.
2. Tried restoring windows coz i thought it was a virus that caused it. (no effect)
3. Checked disk using windows 7
4. Checked disk inside BIOS. .. (still no effect)
5. entered safe mode, updated antivirus, -- then the system crashed , Blue screen of death!
6. Then rebooting showed an error

BOOT DEVICE NOT FOUND
Please istall an operating system on your hard disk.
Hard disk (3F0)

7. now when i enter bios, it cannot detect the hard disk.
8. Took out the hard disk, and installed in another hp laptop. It booted up and entered windows fine (though still a bit slow)
9. installed a different HD on the dv6 laptop and still it can't detect the new HD.
10. Already tried loading set up defaults in bios.

now im baffled.. looked in the net.. a lot of this issue with the specific model. no clear solutions yet though..
Old 07-21-2011, 01:48 PM

fixitdaz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to fixitdaz

Have you tested the ram ?
and have you cheeked the Blue screen code ?
Old 07-21-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitdaz View Post
Have you tested the ram ?
and have you cheeked the Blue screen code ?

yes, RAM tested ok in the BIOS check..

and too bad I wasn't able to get BSOD code..just flash quickly and laptop rebooted itslef..
Old 07-21-2011, 02:50 PM

iisjman07 has a spectacular aura aboutiisjman07 has a spectacular aura about

Hard drive diagnostics?
Old 07-21-2011, 02:53 PM

hello TLE..

nah..! .. its ok.. i came here to seek help and hoping some guy experienced this same prob.. .. i welcome every suggestion..

hmm.. but to answer... yes, i did suspect the hard disk too.. so here's what i did to test the hard disk..

1. took it out, and placed it as a slave in a desktop pc.. i could access all files without a problem, and was even able to run a chkdisk on it..

2. tried to boot it on a desktop pc, it went as far as windows splash screen before rebooting.

3. also tried putting it on another HP laptop with a different model.. entered windows normally! .. (this made me think that the hard disk is ok)

4. tried a working (different one) hard disk on the laptop, and yes, same error.. disk cannot be detected also
Old 07-21-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisjman07 View Post
Hard drive diagnostics?

i am about to try this one out.. but hmm.. found a lot in the web that they already tried this.. and nada.. most of them ended in bringing the laptop to a repair shop..

now my problem is.. i'm the repair man.. hehe.. the problem is thus passed on to me.. i just don't want to conclude that this laptop has a bad mobo that quickly though..
Old 07-21-2011, 03:03 PM

iisjman07 has a spectacular aura aboutiisjman07 has a spectacular aura about

Being able to access files and perform a chkdsk (which could severely damage a faulty drive by the way) won't tell you very much at all about the state of the hard drive. You need to do some proper diagnostics
Old 07-21-2011, 03:10 PM

TLE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnawhalak View Post
hello TLE..

nah..! .. its ok.. i came here to seek help and hoping some guy experienced this same prob.. .. i welcome every suggestion..

hmm.. but to answer... yes, i did suspect the hard disk too.. so here's what i did to test the hard disk..

1. took it out, and placed it as a slave in a desktop pc.. i could access all files without a problem, and was even able to run a chkdisk on it..

2. tried to boot it on a desktop pc, it went as far as windows splash screen before rebooting.

3. also tried putting it on another HP laptop with a different model.. entered windows normally! .. (this made me think that the hard disk is ok)

4. tried a working (different one) hard disk on the laptop, and yes, same error.. disk cannot be detected also
It would be worth using Crystal Disk to read the SMART status of the drive on a slave machine. It would at least give you an idea if the drive is having issues. You could then run the hard disk makers own diagnostic tools to get more information. But as iisjman says, running chkdsk on a drive which you suspect as being faulty is a big no, no. Always worth keeping that in mind.

My bad, I removed the post as I re-read your original post which stated that you had tried an alternative hard drive which was also not recognised. Since this is a DV6, does it have the NVidia GPU installed which causes nothing but problems?

Last edited by TLE; 07-21-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:59 PM

now i learned something new..

NEVER RUN CHECK DISK ON A SUSPECTED BAD DISK.. .. thanks..

.. i'm currently installing these HD diagnostic tools to try it out.. but i'm really wondering since this HD boots fine on a different laptop.. but would still give it a go though..

Quote:
Since this is a DV6, does it have the NVidia GPU installed which causes nothing but problems?
actually i haven't opened it to mobo level yet, so i haven't seen the chip.. but could a GPU afftect the drive? ..

oh.. something i just noticed too.. that the dvd/rom just lights up and is not working now.. it was working before when i was still able to access windows..
Old 07-21-2011, 04:15 PM

TLE is on a distinguished road

Have a look at the models specs online and see what GPU it's using. NVidia G84 and G86 GPU in the 8400M and 8600M series of cards are affected.

Symtoms vary and it doesn't just affect the graphics.