Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-11-2011, 06:51 PM

IronSerif is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Digital signatures with PC Repair Tracker

So I received my demo log in for PC Repair Tracker today and so far I like what I see.

The one option I would like to be able to do onsite is have a customer sign the digital copy of the invoice, that way we have a copy of their signature in the system and not just on paper.

I did a search in the forums but didn't see any suggestions on this (unless of course I missed something!).

If PC Repair Tracker doesn't have this option, is there another ticket/invoice program that does offer digital signatures as an option? To make this work I was considering either hooking up a Wacom tablet to my laptop or even purchasing an iPad/Android tablet.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

-Abe
Old 07-11-2011, 07:08 PM

Xander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really nice

The PCRT forums has been discussing this recently. The OP was asking about using an iPad but wasn't taking into consideration that PCRT is a just PHP, and not an app so it couldn't use functions native to i-devices.
Someone posted a link to a javascript page that would take a signature but it wouldn't run on an ipad (can't speak for Android as nobody offered that info).

The other option I keep up my sleeve is to keep my intake form on my ipad and use "PDF Expert" to capture a signature on it. From there, I can email it back to myself (I can probably pull it out from itunes but haven't checked) and save the document wherever I like.

New here? Watch this and read this. Remember, it's not our problem, it's yours so ask your questions well.
e.g. Make/Model#, Win version/SP#, BSOD 0x#. Consider posting Event Viewer logs, Autoruns exports or something.
More info means better answers and less snark.

Don't be parasitic and only pose your own questions. Help others.
Never trust a "tech" with a hotmail address.

D7 question/idea/etc? Bring it to the D7 Forums.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eHousecalls.ca View Post
The PCRT forums has been discussing this recently. The OP was asking about using an iPad but wasn't taking into consideration that PCRT is a just PHP, and not an app so it couldn't use functions native to i-devices.
Someone posted a link to a javascript page that would take a signature but it wouldn't run on an ipad (can't speak for Android as nobody offered that info).

The other option I keep up my sleeve is to keep my intake form on my ipad and use "PDF Expert" to capture a signature on it. From there, I can email it back to myself (I can probably pull it out from itunes but haven't checked) and save the document wherever I like.
Thanks for the info.

One option that I've been considering is to use a system like PCRT, but then have a separate PDF that the customer signs acknowledging the work that is completed as well as any other legal stuff. From there I could email and/or print the customer the invoice as well as the signed document.

The only problem with that is the PDF would have to be stored outside of PCRT, so if any issues ever came up we would have to reference both PCRT as well as the system/storage space of the PDF file.

Still open for ideas anyone else has too!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:32 PM

cyabro will become famous soon enough

ShopManager allows you to attach files to a job or pc build.
Once you attach a file SM copies it to a folder on the www server so you can delete the original.
We use it to store forms signed by the customer as well as copies of supplier invoices so if a pc/laptop comes back for a warranty repair we can easily find out when and where we bought it from.
These attached forms open on my iPhone too if they are PDFs. Haven't tried any other types as we only use PDFs.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyabro View Post
ShopManager allows you to attach files to a job or pc build.
Once you attach a file SM copies it to a folder on the www server so you can delete the original.
We use it to store forms signed by the customer as well as copies of supplier invoices so if a pc/laptop comes back for a warranty repair we can easily find out when and where we bought it from.
These attached forms open on my iPhone too if they are PDFs. Haven't tried any other types as we only use PDFs.
That's really good to know, I like the ability to attach forms and such. I could use this feature to attach the signed PDF form as well as a digital copy of a credit card receipt.

Is ShopManager similar to PC Repair Tracker?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:39 PM

Fixedathome.com is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSerif View Post
That's really good to know, I like the ability to attach forms and such. I could use this feature to attach the signed PDF form as well as a digital copy of a credit card receipt.

You can also attach files to CommitCRM.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:38 PM

cyabro will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSerif View Post

Yes. The reason I went with SM is I, and my techs, thought that the ui for pcrt was too busy and distracting.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 PM

cmonova will become famous soon enough

Shoot Luke an email and ask him to add it..He is pretty receptive to things.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:07 AM

colonydata is on a distinguished road

there are JS/HTML5 signature form controls out there, that will work on the ipad.

i dont know if PCRT offers access to the source code or not, but you could probably hack that into it with little trouble.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyabro View Post
Yes. The reason I went with SM is I, and my techs, thought that the ui for pcrt was too busy and distracting.
Good info. Do you have a link for ShopManager?

How well does it work for your onsite/mobile repair jobs? I do like PCRT, but like you said it's pretty busy.

Do you find that you need to use any other system in conjunction with SM, or SM really does everything that you need it to?