Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-22-2011, 05:33 PM

nelsonm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opinion on Home vs business class antivirus software.

HI all,

I have seen and worked with both home and business class antivirus software on client computers. After working with both, the only thing i can say about business class antivirus apps is that they offer remote centralized management for the support staff. The all-in-one protection, i.e. firewall, spyware, antivirus and browser protection is generally now standard in both home and business versions.

While business class remote centralized management for the support staff seems great, my experience has been that it's not always a better solution for a business. For one, in the case of McAfee's business solution...

1. I have found the centralized remote management to be wanting. There is a minimum 4 hr delay between the time you make a change to the time the change is applied.

2. It is not very well executed.

3. Some intuitive features are missing and information is somewhat cryptic.

4. You can't save some settings when making changes in case you want to go back to a previous configuration.

5. Both the home and business class versions tend to noticeably impact system performance.

So... in my opinion, installing a package like Spybot and either MS Security Essentials or Avast will do just fine with less impact on the system.

What is your opinion?

Last edited by nelsonm; 06-22-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:38 PM

MrUnknown is on a distinguished road

It depends on how many computers and what type of control you want/need.

I would consider regular licenses for 15 to 20 computers or so. After that, it would be great to know if the computer in the shared office is getting viruses every day without having to check it constantly. Or to push a new version to all of them without going to every single workstation. It can also be cheaper to go this route.

As for McAfee, it sucks. Plain and simple.

You should attend a webinar for the Kaspersky Administration Kit.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:24 PM

kotarel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to kotarel

From what I saw, business a/v = support, centralized management, cheaper bulk licenses, can test DATs in dev before going in prod and home a/v = single license (or 3), more expensive per unit, less support, friendly UI, working at workstation level, everything automatic.

It's pretty much having control over the software to implement it in a system where there are standards and procedures to be followed with the policies. Businesses also don't want to have to "fight" over the phone with the support hence the higher support price with the licenses. They might get software updates on a faster scale then home users.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:29 PM

MobileTechie has a spectacular aura aboutMobileTechie has a spectacular aura about

Generally speaking the corporate AV setup is designed to take the thinking and interaction away from the user and give it to the admin. Centralisation, control and configurability is key. You can have 500 desktops each with their own AV and antimalware apps on them or you'll spend many man-hours chasing up individual infection reports, making sure they are all updating, solving problems with them, stoppping users from messing with them and so on.

I think the Symantec one works pretty well for these things and means a lot less work for sys admins.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 PM

jbartlett323 will become famous soon enough

A couple years back, i did a major comparison of McAfee, Symantec, NOD32, Bitdefender, and Kaspersky's Business solutions.
What i found was that in many cases you are correct, the admin consoles are buggy, laggy, unintuitive, hard to configure, impossible to manage, and nearly all of the clients had a noticable impact on performance of our lowly p4 2.8GHz 512MB Ram systems. All except NOD32 that is.
If you want a good antivirus, with a good console, thats the only one thats worth the effort IMO.
like was said before, if your running 15 or less, home is prolly fine. Anymore, you gotta go centralized and use a good product. And to find the good product, you better do as i did and set up a VM enviroment, install each antivirus from scratch without any instruction at all, and see which one you can configure, use, and maintain easily. Then go get told how to do it after and realize you almost had it right!
Old 06-23-2011, 02:53 AM

nelsonm is an unknown quantity at this point

I currently have two commercial clients with McAfee's SAS security package and i don't like it. The confusing central management interface is managable but the deal breaker for me was the fact that you had to wait 4 hrs to get changes applied. Can you imagine a client calling you up fix a problem relating to the security package that costing them thousands a minute and you have to tell them that the changes won't be applied for 4 hrs... - YOUR FIRED! The only other option is to take a trip to the client's facility to force the changes on every pc - so whats the point of central management with that kind of delay?

I have convinced both clients to remove the subscription based services and install Spybot and MS Security Essentials (not that i'm in love with MS's security product) but its free and the combination works pretty good!

Avast is great and free for home use - i use it personally and it has a lot of great features. The only problem is that you have to re-register it every year. Many of my consumer clients find the re-registration process confusing and end up mistakenly registering the paid version.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:51 PM

wtigger is an unknown quantity at this point

I have one business client that uses the Symantec product, and the management interface is pretty decent, but not intuitive... It took me a while to get all the nuances down, but I eventually figured it out.

I wanted to use Avast on my Windoze 2008 server, but they get $400 per server per year!

The Computer Wizard
Athol, MA

Serving Central-Western MA/Southern VT-NH
www.tcwmass.com
Old 06-24-2011, 07:47 AM

MobileTechie has a spectacular aura aboutMobileTechie has a spectacular aura about

Put the word Server on a app and you can charge 10x the price for some reason.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:20 AM

OldSchoolPC is on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechie View Post
Put the word Server on a app and you can charge 10x the price for some reason.
LOL, ain't it the truth!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:02 AM

naner is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

I personally am a huge fan of panda cloud antiviruses. I have used this on many clients and had great success