Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-07-2008, 05:04 PM

wall2000x is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Penn Foster PC Repair Course

What do you guys think about Penn Foster's PC Repair Course. I believe they charge $834. Not that I need it, but there are some holes in my experience. Most of the guys down here have a one man operation not willing to hire anyone that is going to compete with them in a bout a year. I am interested in any feedback.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:46 PM

greggh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall2000x View Post
What do you guys think about Penn Foster's PC Repair Course. I believe they charge $834. Not that I need it, but there are some holes in my experience. Most of the guys down here have a one man operation not willing to hire anyone that is going to compete with them in a bout a year. I am interested in any feedback.
Have you thought about going with someone bigger. I work in MA as well and work for a place that has many employees out in the field, every day. With guys to call when you get stuck who will help you. They also provide the tools (software) needed to get most jobs done.

I put the toolkits together and am usually the person who people call when they are stuck in the field and cant figure something out.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:25 PM

cmonova will become famous soon enough
Default Price

Quote:
I looked at it and to me it does not fit the price. You say in your post "not that I need it"..If that is the case why buy it? If you are just needing a bit of help in general areas I would spend the money more wisely and grab a couple specific books etc. But, the overall course looks like beginner things and I really don't see it helping you all that much for the cost.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:56 PM

Default That's what I need

I am on Cape Cod and there are some holes in my game like finding the right portable apps, bootable discs, etc. I am just starting to put a libray together. I know the first year is basically learning what you don't know. I dread going to someone's house and spending hours on a job that should have taken 20 minutes. My impression of the penn Foster course was that it was basics and out of date stuff. It costs $834 and I could spend that on much better stuff.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:18 PM

NWPhotog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I am on Cape Cod and there are some holes in my game like finding the right portable apps, bootable discs, etc. I am just starting to put a libray together. I know the first year is basically learning what you don't know. I dread going to someone's house and spending hours on a job that should have taken 20 minutes. My impression of the penn Foster course was that it was basics and out of date stuff. It costs $834 and I could spend that on much better stuff.

I third that view of Penn Foster. If you bought, read, and took the time to understand Mike Meyer's A+ book you'll probably gain more. That said, filling in your knowledge blind spots is a great idea!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:45 AM

Crgky127 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is only so much courses and books can do. The sheer number of combinations of hardware, software, and problems means that experience is the only way to learn anywhere close to most of it.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:03 AM

focuz is on a distinguished road

You say your just looking for the edge on things like useful portable apps and bootable discs. Well this is what the forums is here for. Whenever you need advice or help a quick thread gets tons of replies and guess what, its free.

I found you get more from experience and asking other techs then reading books.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:03 AM

Phishie is an unknown quantity at this point

After reading the posts here, I am still unsure of why you are considering taking this course. Were you just thinking about it to learn a little bit more? Did you want a certificate to show you know what you are doing? I don't understand.

Either way, it sounds like a useless course if you already know the basics. You can learn "computer repair" by Googling and building a couple of computers. Everything else is experience and talking to other techs right here on the forums.

If you want to get a good job, I'd suggest getting an A+ Certification and the MCSE. If you want to be extremely competitive in the job market, go to school and get a Bachelor's degree.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:37 AM

MMAUY is an unknown quantity at this point

I took this course, I do not recommend it, all it does is teach you the very basics, I mean things you already know, how to install a mobo, how to install a dvd drive, hdd, and such, to me it was pointless, and you get PC check which is a utility boot disk but its a floppy, I havent ran into many PC with a floppy drive, Its a good course if you dont know how to do the very and I mean very basics. If you are looking for courses, why not take a IT Boot camp there is a good one here in southern cali, I think its around 12 grand but you get 8 Certs, A+ IT, Network +, Security +, Cisco, MCSE, MCSA, and I forget the last one but its comes with a laptop you get to keep, and job placement, there is a lot of Boot Camps through out the US, and Im sure other countries have them too.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:34 PM

Default They keep calling

They keep calling and calling.