Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-30-2011, 12:27 AM

Whiskey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best way to gain experience with servers so I can take on more business clients

I am currently dealing with home users and business clients but could do with more knowledge on the server side of things so I can gain more business clients.

I am Comptia A+ qualified and am currently studying for my N+. Depending on how big the issue is I sometimes have to turn down business clients if the fault is server related. This is because I do not want to get in over my head and end up doing more harm than good.

I would be interested to know how many other people out there have had this problem and how you got round it.

Is it best to set up your own server at home and practice, team up with a business that has complimentary skills or hire in contractors on an ad hoc basis?

Any ideas or comments would be most welcome!
Old 05-30-2011, 02:12 AM

sudo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to sudo

A 'sandbox' server where you can physically practice on and mess around with is always a great idea and I would recommend it. Combine that with reading so you can get the theory behind things and you should be good. I always fine amazon a great tool to find well rated books, then I just go to my local library or barnes and noble. Open the laptop, sip some coffee, and read. If I find the book valuable for reference I purchase it, if not then I save some cash by just reading it at the store.

At least that's howI learn things
Old 05-30-2011, 03:49 PM

citizensmith will become famous soon enough

Experience with hardware or software? For software I would look at some of the books from sybex sams or even microsoft that support the relevent server exam for server builds. Then you could create some virtuel servers and clients in software like vmware that will give you the oportunity to setup and configure things the way microsoft suggest. I totally agree with your decision to say pass on some tasks but eventualy you need to decide how seriously you want to support business users. I intend to follow the ms cert route to add credentials and a firm thoeretical foundation to my sever experience and smooth off the rough edges. I dont know if I will have any business customers in the future but I will feel more confidant and it appears to be where the smart money is
Old 06-12-2011, 08:04 AM

Tony_Scarpelli has a spectacular aura aboutTony_Scarpelli has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
I am currently dealing with home users and business clients but could do with more knowledge on the server side of things so I can gain more business clients.

I am Comptia A+ qualified and am currently studying for my N+. Depending on how big the issue is I sometimes have to turn down business clients if the fault is server related. This is because I do not want to get in over my head and end up doing more harm than good.

I would be interested to know how many other people out there have had this problem and how you got round it.

Is it best to set up your own server at home and practice, team up with a business that has complimentary skills or hire in contractors on an ad hoc basis?

Any ideas or comments would be most welcome!
I found a computer training school"New Horizons" who needed about $15,000 worth of Network cabling in their expansion plans, in exchange for $7500 worth of MCSE training (6 weeks) and the rest in cash. I took one week training each month over the next six months. I was already manager of an IT company so I had practise and employees who would guide my learning.

I was in a hurry, and had the opportunity.

The cheap way is to buy a $100 Home server (which is basically a ten user 2003 Windows server), then remotely connect to it, and administer it. Buy the 2003 server guides on Amazon.com and start reading, practising and using. I find that even memorizing the transender chea/prep courses teach alot of good information.

Buy a book N+ network for $15 on amazon.com read it first, or network for dummies if you must. Last time I checked you can get a MCSE for Windows server on Ebay from $9.99 and download it to your computer. I think there was one company I really liked Golden Nuggets. Great quality.

set up a FTP server, IIS server, website, you can even download free trail versions of other server software to load on it and practise with it.

There are things you are going to see that you cannot study for and will take hours if not days to figure out. So it is very helpful to have a mentor with at least two or three years serious Network experience. Or you will fuber up and loose clients that is just the way it is.

Last edited by Tony_Scarpelli; 06-12-2011 at 08:06 AM.