Go Back   Technibble Forums > Advertising & Marketing > Advertising Critique

Technibble Sponsor

View Poll Results: Would you outsource your laptop repairs to an online service?
Yes, it sounds very convenient 2 5.41%
Maybe, but the savings would have to be substantial 5 13.51%
No, I always do it myself 23 62.16%
No, it's too risky 6 16.22%
Other (please explain) 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2011, 10:08 PM

DSep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would you outsource laptop repair?

I'm starting a PC repair business this summer and I was considering creating a mail in laptop service via my website. For technicians, I was considering having some sort of annual fee + a reduced price on all work for outsourcing laptops to me.

The question is, would you outsource your laptop repairs to an internet service?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:12 PM

DCGPX is on a distinguished road

Personally no, after doing a few you get to know how easy(ish) they are so why outsource ? I see laptop repairs as easy money - owners understand that they need stripping down and are mostly willing to pay for that knowledge you have.

www.tornadopc.com
Old 05-22-2011, 10:18 PM

Cornerstone Technologies will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Cornerstone Technologies

I see liability with doing this. My clients come to me because I offer extreme discretion and respect for my clients private data. The other issues are more obvious. What would happen if the item is lost in the mail? And more prohibitive, how can I justify sending something out and passing on this expense to my client?

In this instance, I feel that is imperative that every technician become familiar and comfortable with laptop repairs, or refer them to someone local. I like your idea, but it is something I would not be comfortable investing in for minimal return. It is much more profitable for me to do these repairs in-house.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:22 PM

Jory is on a distinguished road

No, I'm responsible when a customer gives me their computer. I'm not going to put my reputation on the line by having someone else do the work I should be doing myself.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:29 PM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Ok heres my take on it.

I do outsource some laptop repairs. I have a guy who can do chipset-level work - he gets anything with a motherboard fault. He's also very handy with a soldering iron - so he gets my jack repairs.

Its very convenient, saves me time, and allows me to do repairs I otherwise could not provide.

BUT - he's local. 10 min drive. Honestly, if I had to post out for all of these it would probably add a $30-40 overhead to each repair. Too expensive and time consuming. I would just learn jack repairs and replace boards outright.

Your post also got me thinking of Lofti in the UK (the guy who does reballing). He's basically running an entire business through post (and local delivery of course) but the fundamental aspect to his success is that his service is in high demand and short supply.

Not sure if either comment sheds any light on your situation, but hope there's something there that does
Old 05-22-2011, 10:35 PM

cmonova will become famous soon enough

I would not outsource to an internet service like you mention due to the time factor. I do outsource jack replacement because we don't have the time or the desire to mess with them.

Plus, I have a local guy that will do them for me, done under our name and the cost can't be beat as compared to the time it would take us to do them.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:49 PM

Knightsman is on a distinguished road

yep, for me, laptops are just as easy as desktops, and for the most part, cleaner. (less risk for roaches).
Old 05-23-2011, 01:01 AM

joydivision will become famous soon enough

I've never been brilliant with mechanics or hands on stuff and I find laptops fiddly as a result.

As a result the only repairs I do myself are keyboards, hard drive replacements and RAM replacement/upgrades. I would consider changing a screen if I had detailed instructions.

I am looking to start outsourcing stuff myself but any laptop I send away I shall remove the hard drive first, because I would be concerned about he clients data otherwise. The other issue with outsourcing is that you would still be liable for the repairs they do. So if they mess it up then it is your problem to fix.

Most the time I just advise the client get a new laptop, had one last week, the graphics chip needed reballing and it had other minor problems so I they agreed it would be far better to buy a brand new laptop than spend 200 fixing it.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:51 AM

Paul Rodgers will become famous soon enough

I hate laptop repairs because of the poorly thought out design of most, but I am not going to pay someone else to do something that I can do without spending a dime.

I will outsource stuff that I can't do or don't have the proper tools to do.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:05 AM

DSep is an unknown quantity at this point

Although many of you would not outsource to an online service yourselves, do you think that many residential users might if it was advertised properly and implemented in a straightforward, simple manner?

Also, what do you think it would take to get techs in general to be more open towards outsourcing their repairs?