Go Back   Technibble Forums > Advertising & Marketing > Website Development & SEO

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-08-2011, 09:21 PM

activeits is on the way
Default anybody using 1freehosting.co.uk

Is anybody using www.1freehosting.com?

They offer uploading WordPress, HTML, Joomla and more, and include an online web designer, all for free and no ads?

Just wondered if anybody is using them, it seem too good to be true. But I have some charity websites to create and it would keep the costs low, so thinking about using them.

Thanks

Old 05-09-2011, 01:20 AM

danrippon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jamie,
No experience with them as such, but you said it yourself insofar as being to good to be true. Sometimes even low cost hosting can cause agony, so I wouldn't even like to tread in the "free" arena.

The alternate thing to do is set up a master account with someone like Bluehost, Hostgator etc who offer unlimited subdomains, and then hang each of the charity sites off of that (on a subdomain - obviously you redirect the charity's web address to your subdomain). This gets you all the benefits of the free webhosting you mentioned above, an improved level of support, but still keeps the costs down - circa $100 USD/yr.

On a tangent, you could also set up a paypal account to accept donations towards the running of the site(s) and add a link to them. (Not sure how effective this would be these days though)

Hope that helps!
Old 05-09-2011, 09:39 AM

puzz1ed1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to puzz1ed1

Hmm, I'd be very cautious. And what are those 3 award-like icons all about?!

S

happy to extend discount to TN members
Old 05-09-2011, 10:53 AM

Techlogon is on a distinguished road

You know what they say about 'too good to be true deals'...

They seem to have no contact details and loads of spelling errors like 'bussiness enquiry'. Would you trust your domains to such amateurish unknowns?

Personally I have used webhosting.uk.com for a couple of years - only £2.29 a month for basic package with cpanel, automated wordpress etc and able to host unlimited subdomains on 1 package so you could host multiple sites subject to combined bandwidth limits. Support is good via online or phone.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:48 PM

Fixedathome.com is an unknown quantity at this point

As above nothing is free in this world. I certainly wouldn't trust an important site to free hosting.

I was recommended Vidahost.com by somebody on here (Can't remember who sorry!) and have been extremely happy with them. Their prices are very cheap (from £17+vat for one year and £29+vat for 2 years. I've sent a couple of questions to support in the past and they have answered very quickly. They have a very good cPanel setup also.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:34 PM

activeits is on the way

Thanks for the replies, i came to conculsion is must be too good to be true and will look for a shared hosts, and just by the seperate domains.

I am looking at WordPress, is there a plugin, to make it more WYSIWYG???

I previously used notepad and frontpage, but think it would be nice to setup the charity websites in WP and show them WYSIWYG way of change content, moving pics around etc.

Thanks

Old 05-11-2011, 03:56 PM

puzz1ed1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to puzz1ed1

There sure is. I'll gladly give you a test account on one of our servers so you can play - no strings

happy to extend discount to TN members
Old 05-11-2011, 07:29 PM

MrUnknown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeits View Post
Thanks for the replies, i came to conculsion is must be too good to be true and will look for a shared hosts, and just by the seperate domains.

I am looking at WordPress, is there a plugin, to make it more WYSIWYG???

I previously used notepad and frontpage, but think it would be nice to setup the charity websites in WP and show them WYSIWYG way of change content, moving pics around etc.

Thanks
uhhh? Just about everything about WordPress is WYSIWYG. I have no clue what you are referring to here.

if you want US hosting, I can help you out for cheap.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:45 PM

4ycr has a spectacular aura about4ycr has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to 4ycr

I am currently using puzz1ed1 hosting and so far so good. The help has been excellent so far. As for wysiwyg for wordpress I use this and find it very useful with more options that the standard wordpress wysiwyg editor
Old 05-12-2011, 05:48 AM

activeits is on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUnknown View Post
uhhh? Just about everything about WordPress is WYSIWYG. I have no clue what you are referring to here.

if you want US hosting, I can help you out for cheap.
On 1freehosting I setup a test account and installed the WP, and yes the Text was very much WYSIWYG, but I did not see that the pictures could easily be dragger from one side to another etc, i.e. Dreamweaver, which makes it easier to insert a table and move it around, so you are seeing the full page.

At the moment with the default WP installation, it just looks like you pick the theme and edit the text, unless I am look at the wrong options, or plugins

Anyway I can see someone else has mentioned Deanís FCKEditor for WordPress plugin, I will try adding that in and see what it does.

Thanks