Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-07-2011, 10:29 PM

glricht has a spectacular aura aboutglricht has a spectacular aura about
Default Worth it to repair a 19" LCD monitor?

A customer gave me a SVA 1950W LWM950 19" LCD display that when plugged in, the power light flashes green-red-black repeatedly and no image is shown.

We don't do hardware repair and I was going to simply throw it out, but for some reason I said "what have I got to lose" and took the monitor apart (it's only 2-3 yrs old and in otherwise good shape). Turns out there is a burn mark on the power board.

Is it worthwhile to attempt to fix this? (I could always use another 19" monitor in the shop.)

The power board is a PI170D-000D made by Shenzhen Poweron Co, dated 2008.3.21. Did a Google search and the only hits for this board are on chinese sites - nothing on EBay either.

For you people that do hardware repair, if it's worth fixing (and that's a big if), where do you get hardware parts like this?

Just wondering if it's worth my time...
Old 05-07-2011, 11:03 PM

Techless will become famous soon enough

Your best bet would be to see if you can find parts on eBay. I'm not too sure if it would be worth fixing unless you can get the parts cheap (less than $25 including shipping) since you can usually buy them new for less than $100.

If you resell it I doubt you would actually make money based upon the time you put into it but this could make a great monitor for a bench machine.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Rodgers View Post
Your best bet would be to see if you can find parts on eBay. I'm not too sure if it would be worth fixing unless you can get the parts cheap (less than $25 including shipping) since you can usually buy them new for less than $100.

If you resell it I doubt you would actually make money based upon the time you put into it but this could make a great monitor for a bench machine.
Thanks for the insight Paul.

I'll look some more on Ebay, but if I don't find anything in the next couple of days, the monitor's going in the trash.

Wasn't going to sell it, just use it within the office.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:39 PM

JosephLeo is on a distinguished road

Never trash electronics! ESPECIALLY no name electronics!!! Especially more so when they're monitors!

Always, and I mean ALWAYS go to a recycling facility. They will usually take the thing off your hands for free and you walk off knowing you at least *attempted* to keep that stuff out of your drinking water :P

Some of the companies send their stuff out to China, but some don't- again at least you tried.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:53 PM

Techless will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephLeo View Post
Never trash electronics! ESPECIALLY no name electronics!!! Especially more so when they're monitors!

Always, and I mean ALWAYS go to a recycling facility. They will usually take the thing off your hands for free and you walk off knowing you at least *attempted* to keep that stuff out of your drinking water :P

Some of the companies send their stuff out to China, but some don't- again at least you tried.
I agree. It is hazardous to the environmentand in most places illegal.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:25 PM

Painless is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephLeo View Post

Unfortunately here in the UK there is little incentive to recycle electronics.

As has been discussed on other threads the cost of doing things correctly is very high. If you are a business you need a licence to take any rubbish to be recycled and if it is electronic you need a licence to transport hazardous waste. When I looked into it I estimated it would cost me over 300 a year.

It is cheaper to tell my customers to recycle old PCs.

John
Old 05-10-2011, 12:44 AM

I wasn't going to put it in the waste basket along with the paper & cardboard, I'm well aware of recycling versus pure trash.

Where I'm located, they pick up trash twice a week. We have a special box to place stuff for recycling which is then picked up the 2nd pickup in the week.