Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-28-2011, 10:01 AM

TimJacobs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TimJacobs Send a message via MSN to TimJacobs Send a message via Yahoo to TimJacobs Send a message via Skype™ to TimJacobs
Default RANT about Techs

<BEGIN RANT>
OK, well I have no problem helping other techs out, hell even EU's. But I think that everyone that wants to ask for help in any of the Help threads should have to read and well AGREE to These.

I am getting tired of people telling techs how to be techs.

Simple diagnostics goes a LONG ways. I have seen atleast 3 threads this week alone that somewhere in there someone stated: "Take it to a Professional".

Well you know what that tells me. That they aren't doing their Job right. Diagnose the Freaking PC. If we have to tell you how to diagnose a Computer what are you doing here?

And something else.......... Google is your friend.... If you say hey, I need this and we post a link that's a LMGTFY link then it is your own fault. It was right there all along. Now If googling don't help in your case then please state something along the lines of:
"I tried googling "This Term" and it didn't come up with what I was looking for".

So people PLEASE Read This Thread.

</RANT (For now)>
Old 04-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

I agree. I usually try to hold back a bit but then someone always replies to help. I think it fairly obvious when someone is an end user(sometimes we're wrong). It's all about anaytical fault finding and as long as the person has documented what they have tried and what they think it might be(and the process of getting there) then all is good. We all miss things and need a 'person over your shoulder' at times but as long as people look like they have tried then things won't get out of hand. None of us can know everything.

There is a saying ' those of you who think you know it all are annoying those of us who do'
Old 04-28-2011, 10:44 AM

TLE is on a distinguished road

It can be difficult to differentiate at times, Like you guys I always read back through the previous posts to see if they have a history of asking simple or idiotic questions, but even then you can't be sure. It's annoying, but it would seem that we are pretty powerless to stop it.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:33 PM

AdamsAPlus is on a distinguished road

What we should do, and I know it won't work so i'm not sure why I'm even posting this. We should have a template. I know there are times when I come on there and ask for help. My brain is so fried that I'm not thinking straight.

So like our template when you join, we should have a template to use when asking for help.

1) What is the problem and please describe in detail?

2) Have you tried googling the problem? (If the answer is no then stop there and delete this thread)

3) What have you tried? (again give details)

So times it's hard to tell the difference between nubbies and EUs. I have no problem helping nubbies. We were all there once. Maybe if we had this template it will help out the nubbies. They may not know what to ask. They may have received a computer in and get the dreaded BSoD for the first time and been like I don't even know where to begin.

Adams A Plus Blog

CompTIA A+, CompTIA Net+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS: Windows Vista, MSITP: Enterprise Support
DCSE
Old 04-28-2011, 01:35 PM

totalPCTechs is on a distinguished road

Lol this is a rant that's been posted before. Did u Google ur rant before you started another thread?? Lol j/p.

Sent from my Android Thunderbolt.

Total PC Techs Computer Services & Repair
Old 04-28-2011, 02:16 PM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalpctechs View Post
lol this is a rant that's been posted before. Did u google ur rant before you started another thread?? Lol j/p.
I like that.

OP. There's no point getting p..se.d off about it. Don't waste your energy - its not going to change

Last edited by 16k_zx81; 04-28-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:47 PM

14049752 has a spectacular aura about14049752 has a spectacular aura about

It seems like once people are on the forums long enough, they start to realize how things are...then get angry about it....then eventually you just learn to deal with it and ignore certain things.
I ended up leaving the forum for six or seven months, because I got sick of it. Now I just ignore most of the stuff on here and pay attention to the stuff that interests me.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:06 PM

Paul Rodgers will become famous soon enough

We can all complain about how things are being done here, but in the end it isn't worth it. If i was running the show there are things I would do differently, but I'm not so I'm going to keep my opinions on management to myself. Overall I think Bryce has done a wonderful job in operating the site.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:32 PM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Rodgers View Post
If i was running the show there are things I would do differently, but I'm not so I'm going to keep my opinions on management to myself.
AFAIC there probably no an easy single fix for it (if indeed there is one). But by all means, if you do have a better approach than the current methods ... suggest it. Im sure everyone would be interested to hear how it would be done.

Last edited by 16k_zx81; 04-28-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:49 PM

ATTech is on a distinguished road

For every person you have telling them to take it to a qualified technician, you have another person actively helping them. That's your problem.

Last edited by ATTech; 04-28-2011 at 04:58 PM.