Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-18-2011, 02:53 AM

CheerUpPC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to include in a maintenance contract and how to manage it

I have been doing maintenance contracts for a little over a year now and they have been very successful. But, as I keep growing I am looking to standardize things a little more to simplify my life.

My big thing is that I sometimes feel lost, having never worked in a corporate environment or for a big IT firm, I really don't know what types of software people are using to do maintenance or if I can just keep getting away with built in windows functions/free software. I want to make sure that the services and the prices I charge for them are on par with the value a customer would get going with other IT companies in town.

I am curious as to what services you are including in your maintenance and how do you manage it? I found a great list of scripts that I will begin implementing...but I would love to know how all you other IT pros are doing maintenance and what software (if any) you are using to implement it.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:18 AM

TimJacobs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TimJacobs Send a message via MSN to TimJacobs Send a message via Yahoo to TimJacobs Send a message via Skype™ to TimJacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheerUpPC View Post
I have been doing maintenance contracts for a little over a year now and they have been very successful. But, as I keep growing I am looking to standardize things a little more to simplify my life.

My big thing is that I sometimes feel lost, having never worked in a corporate environment or for a big IT firm, I really don't know what types of software people are using to do maintenance or if I can just keep getting away with built in windows functions/free software. I want to make sure that the services and the prices I charge for them are on par with the value a customer would get going with other IT companies in town.

I am curious as to what services you are including in your maintenance and how do you manage it? I found a great list of scripts that I will begin implementing...but I would love to know how all you other IT pros are doing maintenance and what software (if any) you are using to implement it.
Ok, lets start with what you are providing and what you currently have implemented.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:53 AM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

I would have thought an appropriate starting place would actually have been a search of the forum, and a question following from the body of knowledge that has already developed on the subject...
Old 04-18-2011, 09:29 AM

TighSonaRepairs is an unknown quantity at this point

What is it you have running currently? Are you using somthing like CCleaner and cleaning out the system i.e. temp files, ie history, old shareware/crapware.

Or are you doing somthing a little more advanced?
Old 04-18-2011, 02:21 PM

jdpetrov is on a distinguished road

I think at the end of the day your customers demand computers that can perform the functions they were purchased for. From a customer's perspective, I would think that so long as the computers remained functional I could care less how that's achieved (so long as no pirated software ends up on my system.)
Old 04-18-2011, 03:32 PM

CheerUpPC is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16k_zx81 View Post
I would have thought an appropriate starting place would actually have been a search of the forum, and a question following from the body of knowledge that has already developed on the subject...
I couldn't agree more, which is why i spent an hour searching and reading forum posts before creating this one. I saw plenty of posts on maintenance but none directly related to which programs people are using. By and large I know WHAT people are doing, my question was HOW are they doing it.

Here is what I currently do on a monthly basis:

1. run virus scan
2. run windows updates
3. run msconfig and clean startup
4. run advanced system care to clean up temp files, reg files, defrag and cleanup spyware
5. Run software updates for things like adobe, java, etc
6. remove unnecessary software like mcafee scan and toolbars

What I was trying to find was what software/scripts etc people are using to accomplish this. Specifically a free option (that is legal for corporate environments) to accomplish #4 and I currently pay for this and it is $30/yr so it is eating up 1/12 of my yearly maintenance fees.

Sorry if I was unclear before, hopefully this makes more sense.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:03 PM

TimJacobs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TimJacobs Send a message via MSN to TimJacobs Send a message via Yahoo to TimJacobs Send a message via Skype™ to TimJacobs

CheerUpPC------ I sent you a PM