Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-09-2008, 03:16 PM

jschramm97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Real opportunity or Scam?

I've been doing PC repairs (large corporations) for 13 years, and decided over the weekend to go ahead and turn it into an "official" side job. So i posted a few advertisements online for my services, and received this email this morning:
===
Hello,
My name is ### #### ,i hail from UK and right now i work in ireland I
read description and am instrested in your services,I will be importing some
computer into the states.The PC are laptops pentium 4 sony vio computer..I
want to reformat them for the new year and want you to Install software,
clean inner & outer computer components, update software to current status
Get back to me with you total cost for the services of 10 computers . I will
like You to know that my mode of payment is by check or money order.
I await your urgent response so that i can put the arrangement in order.
Thanks
===
Something seems fishy about it, i reside in a small town about 35 miles west of St. Louis Missouri. I cannot figure out why this person wants to send me 10computers, i would be happy to do the work but i'm concerned that it's some sort of scam, If it's not how would you approch this, and what type of things should i keep an eye out for?

Thank You!
-Jim
Old 06-09-2008, 03:20 PM

thecoldone06 is on a distinguished road

Hey Jim welcome to TechNibble. It does seem a little fishy but i think it would be worth checking out. If further conversations make it seem even more unlikely I would scrap it but it looks like something worth pursuing. Where in MO are you? I live in St. Charles.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:31 PM

14049752 has a spectacular aura about14049752 has a spectacular aura about

That's a scam. Don't bother. I get about five or six of those e-mails a week, almost the exact same wording.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:40 PM

thecoldone06 is on a distinguished road

I don't see why anybody would even attempt a scam like this. Usually someone is going to try and scam you out of money or something but your not sending them any money. Are they trying to get you to set up some computers and then not pay you? That would be pretty ******.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:48 PM

14049752 has a spectacular aura about14049752 has a spectacular aura about

Here's the way I expect it to work:

Scammer send you an e-mail saying that the computers will be on their way, and he has already sent payment for your services.
"Payment" arrives, but the computers never do. Scammer says "sorry for the trouble, I will check with my shipping company. You will notice that I sent $xxxx more than your quote, would you please deposit the money order and then send the extra to this account using Western Union?"
Obviously, since it's a scam, it's a fake money order, the computers never arrive because they never shipped, and if you sent the "extra" money you're a victim and have lost a large sum of money for a boneheaded mistake.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:50 PM

jschramm97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy More developments

I have dug into a bit more and found that the original senders address is different then the reply to address. And the address the message was sent to is different then mine. When i perform a google search of the delivery address it is a service like mine with serveral postings on craigslist for their services.

The Original Sender/Reply-Too address return no results on Google...

The plot thickens..
Old 06-09-2008, 03:59 PM

rsavoia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to rsavoia

This seems like a new twist on an old scam. This is the first one I've heard about that involves PC repair. I would run far away from this one.
Episode 68 - How To Quit Your Job and Start a Computer Business Part 1
Old 06-09-2008, 04:11 PM

MHCG is on a distinguished road

I just got this one this morning, probably because of my craigslist advertisement. This sounds completely legit.

Quote:
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 14:35:54 +0200 [06:35:54 AM MDT]
Reply-To: Mrs Luisa Estrada <luisa.estrada@live.com>
Subject: KINDLY GET BACK TO ME

Dear Friend,

The political unrest in my country (PHILIPPINES), necessitated this email, though this approach appears desperate, difficulties encountered in efforts to establish a business abroad also necessitate this search for someone to assist me in securing and investing the sum of USD18,000,000 (Eighteen million dollars) deposited in my name abroad.
By way of summarized profile of myself, I am Senator Luisa Estrada, a 66years old lady and the wife of Joseph Ejercito Estrada (former head of state and President of Philippines).

From past experiences, many people I had regarded as close friends and relatives has capitalize on my family's travail to run away with my money. In order to avert this negative development, I in conjunction with my son now seek your permission to allow us do a CHANGE OF OWNERSHIP/REASSIGNMENT OF CREDIT of stated funds from the holding company to your name, so that the funds (US$18million) would be released to you as the BENEFICIARY (on behalf of me and my family).

Our family trustee have secretly protected the deposit, you are to assist us to lay claims of the funds with the aid of all legal documents that will be forwarded to you as time goes on.
If you agree to help, we shall discuss the disbursement ratio in our next correspondence after we have been acquainted. I have decided to offer 20% of the above sum to you if you agree to assists us to secure these funds overseas or 30% share for possible help on investing in any reliable venture.
No doubt this proposal will make you apprehensive, please I employ you to observe utmost privacy and rest assured that this transaction would be most profitable for both of us.

PLEASE INDICATE YOUR INTEREST BY RESPONDING TO MY EMAIL ADDRESS AT luisa.estrada@live.com WITH THE FOLLOWING INFO.
Your full name:
Address:
Your telephone/fax numbers:
Company name (If any):

Once I receive this information, my son will prepare the necessary documents that will put you in place as the new owner of the funds. The money will then be released to your custody by the security company.
Luisa Estrada.(Mrs.)

Please respond to my private email address at : luisa.estrada@live.com
Old 06-09-2008, 06:53 PM

jj2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to jj2000

scam scam scam stay well clear.
i used to get dozens of these a week now i ignore all of them.
Wanting and needing impossible heaven.

Last edited by jj2000; 06-09-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:00 PM

i2omani is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to i2omani Send a message via Skype™ to i2omani

It has the word SCAM all over it