Go Back   Technibble Forums > Advertising & Marketing > Advertising, Marketing & Sales

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-05-2008, 02:27 AM

Phishie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marketing Idea: Free PC Cleanup and Tuneup @ Local College?

I came across this tip reading through all kinds of forums on the net. Today, I just started to really think about it. The summer semester just started this week and I am thinking of maybe doing it. I'll call up my community college and see if they can donate some space and power to me so I can do physical cleanings with my 3lb air compressor and quick software tuneups absolutely free for anybody who wants to lug their computer down there. I'd print out a bunch of flyers with $20 off promo codes designed to attract business from both students and other customers and give out my business cards. I'd also us the time to just chat with people and show off my personality.

Anybody have experience doing something similar like this? Good idea or a waste of time? Keep in mind that I am still a very small business out here and I am currently only getting 1-2 jobs a week.

Last edited by Phishie; 06-05-2008 at 02:33 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:55 AM

Crgky127 is an unknown quantity at this point

The success of this will depend on your market. You could try it out, and if it works (may take a while for you to tell whether it worked), do it again twice as big.

One thing to think about though, make sure you have a sign or something showing what it would usually cost, and then have a line through it and then FREE in bold or something. My point is make sure they know its normally not free, and they are receiving a service which has a value. This will help prevent people taking advantage of you and trying to get more stuff for free, will make you look more professional, and the industry as a whole will look better. This will also increase the number of people coming to this, if you advertise 'receive blah blah normally valued at $XX for free' its like people are getting $XX, otherwise it's like people are getting something worthless. Even though quickie tuneups and cleaning seems like nothing to us, especially compared to problem solving, it is very valuable to someone with a dog and cat who keeps their computer on the floor and hasn't opened it in 3 years.... but enough about yesterday's cough-a-thon
Old 06-05-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crgky127 View Post
Even though quickie tuneups and cleaning seems like nothing to us, especially compared to problem solving, it is very valuable to someone with a dog and cat who keeps their computer on the floor and hasn't opened it in 3 years.... but enough about yesterday's cough-a-thon
Oh god... I think you just made me reconsider my plan. Haha! But yeh, thanks for the info. If I do get the go-ahead from the college, I plan on advertising this event ASAP so the word gets around and I can get more turnout. And yes, I do plan on making an 8.5x11 sign and holding it up with one of those little holders you can get at staples that shows the value of the service they are getting for free and will also have my logo, phone number, blah blah, other services that I do, etc. Just thinking about the idea, I am liking it. It'll be fun and maybe I'll see some people I used to be in class with. I was a freshman in the college only a year ago.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:21 PM

just_a_nobody is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a good idea there Phisie, but you may get over your head. I would just offer the free cleaning, and skip the tuneup, but I would check out their system, to let them know if you found a problem, that way they will know who to call. You should also include a business card with each cleaning, whether you print one up, or use a professional, at least the customer will know who to call if they have a problem in the future. In fact, tape it on their computer, so they don't lose it.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_a_nobody View Post
That's a good idea there Phisie, but you may get over your head. I would just offer the free cleaning, and skip the tuneup
Well maybe, maybe not. I really have NO IDEA what kind of turnout I'll get. I don't know how many people want to lug their PC around a college campus and if I get a laptop I am going to spend more time tuning it up than cleaning it. Usually I'll take a laptop apart to clean it but I won't do that in this case.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:41 PM

hext is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the cleanout idea but I too think the tune up will be more hassle than its worth, you will get some ass who turns up with a PC riddled with viruses and crap and then will ask why you can't tune his/her PC "it says so on the flyer!".

also test the PC before and after you clean it, the last thing you want is to do something for free and then someone say " you broke my PC!" and then you be liable for the repair costs, might be worth getting them to sign a document stating either that the PC works when you finished the clean or that you arn't responsable to any damage incured.

don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea just wouldn't want you to get burned somehow
Old 06-06-2008, 11:22 AM

i2omani is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to i2omani Send a message via Skype™ to i2omani

Very Good idea!
But did you estimate :
  • how long will it take you to take apart a laptop and clean it
  • How long will it take you to run scan on each pc

Plus do you think someone will let you take apart his/her laptop just because you say you can do it?
Old 06-06-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2omani View Post
Very Good idea!
But did you estimate :
  • how long will it take you to take apart a laptop and clean it
  • How long will it take you to run scan on each pc

Plus do you think someone will let you take apart his/her laptop just because you say you can do it?
At an event like this I would not be taking apart laptops. Only dismantling I'd be doing is taking the side panel off of desktops for cleaning. Scanning is not an issue because I don't plan on removing viruses. I'd just be running Ccleaner, browsing through Add/Remove Programs, setting some services to manual startup, and tweaking the startup so less crapware loads on startup.