Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Apple Macintosh

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-24-2011, 09:33 PM

XFalloutX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Network Printing

I have a client that has Mac 10.6 and I'm trying to setup a networked iR C3220.
To tell you the truth I've never set up a printer on a Mac before.
So I click the + to add the printer
I leave it on LPD and enter in the IP address of printer
as for the queue name I've left it blank and put in a name
then I go to select the driver. I've installed a PS and URFII driver but only the PS driver shows up so I select it. Then I check job accounting since they use it.
I go to print something it asks for his ID then nothing and the queue just says sending 100% but never completes. I believe when I leave the queue name empty when setting up the printer it says that the printer is busy and will retry in 10 seconds.
So what else can I try?

Google comes up with vague answers and most are different since they apply to different versions of Mac
Old 03-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

With Macs it says leave the queue blank but a lot of printers need a name defined to work. Stick print in there as a name and see how you go
Old 03-25-2011, 01:38 PM

Does it matter what I put in there? I put p1 (a google search someone suggested that) and I tried the name of the printer iR C3220 and it wouldn't work.
Also I forgot to mention it asks if its unidirectional or bidirectional. I think I tried both and it wouldn't work. What should it be?
Old 03-25-2011, 01:56 PM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFalloutX View Post
Does it matter what I put in there? I put p1 (a google search someone suggested that) and I tried the name of the printer iR C3220 and it wouldn't work.
Also I forgot to mention it asks if its unidirectional or bidirectional. I think I tried both and it wouldn't work. What should it be?
You're making this way more complicated than it should be. All you need to do is just add the printer just like you would a stand alone printer.

System prefs/print&fax/+ sign/default tab/pick the printer/give it name if you want/done.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous Mac Tech View Post
System prefs/print&fax/+ sign/default tab/pick the printer/give it name if you want/done.
What do you mean pick the printer? There is no list to pick the printer from.
So you saying I shouldn't pic the canon driver and just leave it as the default PS driver?
Old 03-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

I'm not a Mac expert by a long way so go with Anonymous Mac Tech. All I know is from my experiences installing printers on a few Macs is that some networked printers need a defined name i.e Canons are usually print or direct along with the ip address. I used to go out to them and because there was no name defined and Macs say leave it blank it won't work. So you can define it as a lpr printer, use the ip address and a name of print will normally work.

Edit

Just had a look at what Anonymous Mac Tech said and this is what I was saying about some printers don't like that left blank, try print in that area(using lpr) and try then.

edit again

Just had a look at that particular model and the queue needs to be defined as LP.

Last edited by Martyn; 03-25-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:14 PM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
What do you mean pick the printer? There is no list to pick the printer from.
Are you on the default tab or are you still screwing around with ip?

Quote:
So you saying I shouldn't pic the canon driver and just leave it as the default PS driver?
Yeah, pretty much...Even if the default print driver OSX gives you is out of date or for some strange reason incompatible, as soon as software update is ran it will find the print driver.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
Just had a look at that particular model and the queue needs to be defined as LP.
Thanks I'll give that a try.

Quote:
Are you on the default tab or are you still screwing around with ip?
When I hit the + to add a new printer first thing it says is Protocol and I don't remember what its defaulted to but then below it asks for the name or IP of the printer so I add the IP of the printer there.

Quote:
Even if the default print driver OSX gives you is out of date or for some strange reason incompatible, as soon as software update is ran it will find the print driver.
Ok I'll try that also. I didn't do it in the first place cause it needs to have job accounting turned on and didn't think the default would have that option so hopefully it will update and I can then turn it on.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
When I hit the + to add a new printer first thing it says is Protocol and I don't remember what its defaulted to but then below it asks for the name or IP of the printer so I add the IP of the printer there.
You are still completely missing the point. Just after you hit + to add a printer, up above the protocol drop down menu are four selections. They are default / fax / ip / windows. You are still trying to follow the ip setup to add a printer. Get off of ip and select default. After that you will your available printer list.

Last edited by anonymous Mac Tech; 03-25-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
You are still completely missing the point. Just after you hit + to add a printer, up above the protocol drop down menu are four selections. They are default / fax / ip / windows. You are still trying to follow the ip setup to add a printer. Get off of ip and select default. After that you will your available printer list.
But those are not my options. LDP is the default protocol it selects. Then there is a IPP protocol option and I can't remember what the 3rd one is.