Go Back   Technibble Forums > Other Discussions > General Chat

  Technibble Sponsor

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-22-2011, 12:29 PM
ijunkie ijunkie is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 97
ijunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Christ Church New Zealand Earthquake

I searched earthquake and didn't find anything. I was wondering if the folks on this forum that live there are ok? Methical comes to mind. My heart goes out to you guys and I am hoping the best for you. I hope that you see this thread and post in it to let us know you are alright.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-22-2011, 01:29 PM
JosephLeo's Avatar
JosephLeo JosephLeo is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,146
JosephLeo is on a distinguished road
Default

Logged in to post this, but looks like someone was ahead of me.

Just 6 months ago the SAME CITY was hit with a 7.1 magnitude earthquake that miraculously left 0 people dead, however this extremely large aftershock that just hit has left a total of 65 dead, thus far. Partly due to the damaged infrastructure and buildings which have collapsed.

My prayers go out to the loved ones of the lost and all those hurt in this horrible event. Stay safe Oceania, you've been hit hard this year haven't you.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Knightsman's Avatar
Knightsman Knightsman is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,358
Knightsman is on a distinguished road
Default

Such a tragic event. God Speed to these people, and condolences to the families!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Martyn's Avatar
Martyn Martyn is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bedfordshire UK
Posts: 5,631
Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about
Default

Methical logged on this morning so hopefully he is ok.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-22-2011, 02:00 PM
TLE's Avatar
TLE TLE is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 1,239
TLE is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephLeo View Post
Logged in to post this, but looks like someone was ahead of me.

Just 6 months ago the SAME CITY was hit with a 7.1 magnitude earthquake that miraculously left 0 people dead, however this extremely large aftershock that just hit has left a total of 65 dead, thus far. Partly due to the damaged infrastructure and buildings which have collapsed.

My prayers go out to the loved ones of the lost and all those hurt in this horrible event. Stay safe Oceania, you've been hit hard this year haven't you.
Hope your all well Methical.

This quake wasn't as powerful 6.3, but it was alot shallower 5km not 50km like the last one, hence the level of destruction. Not nice!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-22-2011, 02:26 PM
JosephLeo's Avatar
JosephLeo JosephLeo is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,146
JosephLeo is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE View Post
Hope your all well Methical.

This quake wasn't as powerful 6.3, but it was alot shallower 5km not 50km like the last one, hence the level of destruction. Not nice!!
According to Methical's login history he may be safe.

He last logged in at February 22nd 3:33AM (United States - Eastern Time Zone) and the eartquake hit February 21st 6:51PM (United States - Eastern Time Zone)

That's almost a 9 hour difference from the earthquake to his login. I still pray he (and our other TechNibble friends in New Zealand) are safe. But for now it seems we may safely assume that he is safe. Thanks Martyn for reminding me of the login feature.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Elemdee's Avatar
Elemdee Elemdee is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 773
Elemdee is on a distinguished road
Default

Yeah I immediately thought of him too. It must be chaos down there right now. Hope you're safe, Tim. <3
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-22-2011, 04:14 PM
cyabro's Avatar
cyabro cyabro is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Whangarei, New Zealand
Posts: 642
cyabro will become famous soon enough
Default

Very strange emotional day yesterday.
We had our second baby born in the morning, healthy boy, and then got home to hear about the quake in Christchurch.
We are in the north island and chch is in the south island so we didn't feel it at all.
Have since managed to contact my brother who lives in chch and thankfully he is ok.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-22-2011, 07:23 PM
JosephLeo's Avatar
JosephLeo JosephLeo is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,146
JosephLeo is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyabro View Post
Very strange emotional day yesterday.
We had our second baby born in the morning, healthy boy, and then got home to hear about the quake in Christchurch.
We are in the north island and chch is in the south island so we didn't feel it at all.
Have since managed to contact my brother who lives in chch and thankfully he is ok.
Wow! First of all congratulations on the baby. Babies will always bring a smile to people's faces even in the worst of situations! (I want one soon)

It's great to hear the good news about your brother.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-22-2011, 08:22 PM
cyabro's Avatar
cyabro cyabro is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Whangarei, New Zealand
Posts: 642
cyabro will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephLeo View Post
Wow! First of all congratulations on the baby. Babies will always bring a smile to people's faces even in the worst of situations! (I want one soon)

It's great to hear the good news about your brother.
Thanks Joseph.

We tried to convince my brother to move back north after the last big quake chch had in September, on my birthday actually , so maybe now he will make the move.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Technibble.com is based out of MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA.