Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 AM

tankman1989 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Does anyone use Limited Power of Attorney letters for clients?

I was just in formed that there is such a thing as "limited power of attorney" in which a person can give an individual or business the power to represent themselves regarding a specific condition/scope (the scope I would be working with would be ISP/Email/computer related services). I haven't decided the exact wording as of yet but I have found a number of forms online from which I can draw up a contract. This PoA will allow me to call the ISP, Hosting company, Backup company, software company, etc and act as if I am the person whom I am representing and I would be able to make legal changes.

The reason this came up is because I have a client who is dealing with an ISP who is telling him a bunch of BS about his service, speed and email capabilities. He is getting shafted because he is not technologically inclined at all. If they tried the same thing with me, I would be able to tell them they are full of you know what and that the problem is on their side and they need to stop passing the blame and take care of it for my client and give him a refund for the many months he has had to suffer with sub-par performance and the extreme hindrance to his business.

I could see this working well in situation where the client is the middle man between Me, the tech and the ISP, Web hosting company or whomever. I can talk directly to the company as if I were the customer and remove all the go-between.

I think this is a great idea and am curious if anyone else is using something like this. I think this would work really well for businesses and for older people or anyone who is not technologically inclined.

Let me know what you think!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Cadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the rough

When ever I have had to ring a isp etc on a clients behalf, I usually ring the isp first, tell them the issue(s), get my client to speak with the helpline / tech, giving all the security info, telling the isp its ok to speak with me, and then speak with the isp direct. By this time, you can then tell the helpline, that you are a tech, you bill your client by the hour, and if they would like you to do all the basic things again, (which you already would of done), then by all means, but your (their) client will be looking elsewhere shortly. I have found that this usually stops them from reading the script each time, and they actually listen to you.

Saves all the rigmarole of a POA. I'm not 100% convinced re telling the isp etc, that you are claiming to be the client. I think that is a major no no, and personally I wouldn't do that.

Yes to getting the isp etc to have on their notes/system its ok to speak to you, so you dont have to go through the hassle of it all the time, but no to the misrepresentation.

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 02-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

The same as Nige basically I get the client to talk first and do the security thing then I carry on after that.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:04 AM

morr is an unknown quantity at this point

And another vote here, once the client authorises it over the phone I do the rest.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:05 AM

Painless is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting the client to give their authority on as one off basis is probably best. Having dealt with POAs I would think it could take weeks to get one registered with an ISP. Companies usually require an original copy to be inspected by their legal people and with my experience of ISPs they would probably lose it. All too much hassle.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2011, 03:37 PM

Techless will become famous soon enough

ISPs that I have dealt with usually don't care as long as you have the correct address/phone number/name of the customer. Time Warner is by far the easiest to deal with.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:39 PM

Daifne is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Rodgers View Post
Time Warner is by far the easiest to deal with.
Once you get off hold... ;-)
Old 02-21-2011, 03:52 PM

Techless will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daifne View Post
Once you get off hold... ;-)
In my experience it isn't that bad. Might be the area though. We have 4 different ISPs at the company I work for full time. Time Warner, Verizon DSL, Windstream DSL, and Broadview dial-up. Time Warner wins hands down and Windstream is in second. Verizon is a pita and I want to get rid of the dial-up. I would much rather have Time Warner at all locations.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:59 PM

Daifne is an unknown quantity at this point

Could be the area. I'm generally satisfied with TW RR, but not with the hold times. I use them for home and business as well has having many customers on it. We have only two real options, AT&T and TW.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:24 PM

TopLevelComp is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TopLevelComp Send a message via Skype™ to TopLevelComp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankman1989 View Post
I was just in formed that there is such a thing as "limited power of attorney" in which a person can give an individual or business the power to represent themselves regarding a specific condition/scope (the scope I would be working with would be ISP/Email/computer related services). I haven't decided the exact wording as of yet but I have found a number of forms online from which I can draw up a contract. This PoA will allow me to call the ISP, Hosting company, Backup company, software company, etc and act as if I am the person whom I am representing and I would be able to make legal changes.

The reason this came up is because I have a client who is dealing with an ISP who is telling him a bunch of BS about his service, speed and email capabilities. He is getting shafted because he is not technologically inclined at all. If they tried the same thing with me, I would be able to tell them they are full of you know what and that the problem is on their side and they need to stop passing the blame and take care of it for my client and give him a refund for the many months he has had to suffer with sub-par performance and the extreme hindrance to his business.

I could see this working well in situation where the client is the middle man between Me, the tech and the ISP, Web hosting company or whomever. I can talk directly to the company as if I were the customer and remove all the go-between.

I think this is a great idea and am curious if anyone else is using something like this. I think this would work really well for businesses and for older people or anyone who is not technologically inclined.

Let me know what you think!
Usually Limited Power of Attorney forms are for when the person isn't there.

If the client is right there next to you, why would you need one?

Another question, what is the point in having one? What will give you the ability to do your job better with this since you haven't had one? How will it make your job easier?

I personally, would laugh at a computer tech that asked if I wanted to do a PoA, probably laugh him out the door as well.

Edit:
Also, do you have any legal background that will help you when writing the form? Do you have any legal background that will help you understand the limitations of PoA, as in, what you can and cannot do with a PoA?

Last edited by TopLevelComp; 02-21-2011 at 05:36 PM.