Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-23-2008, 04:21 AM

nonchalant is on a distinguished road

Vista certainly has its advantages. I used to loathe it but the 64-bit version on a fast system is sweet.

I agree also that MS released it too early. But thats what happens when users keep asking for a new OS when its not ready. Same thing happens with games sometimes.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:03 PM

kaspiahn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Me too.

I have to admit I was one who bashed Vista when it first came out. I played with it on a friends PC, and he complained endlessly about it. Compatabilty issues and learning a new OS.
I recently ordered a Dell laptop w/ Vista Home Premium. After playing around with it I now believe it is not as bad as I first thought. I do prefer XP Pro, because I'm a gamer. But for just surfing the net and Office type apps I'm happy with Vista. I just have to tweak it to my liking, just like any other new OS. Of course I just got it and have not loaded much on it, so they jury is still out for my final opinion of long-term use. Maybe after a year of installing/uninstalling freeware, I'll have another opinion.

My laptop specs:
Dell XPS 1530
Vista Home Premium
nVidia 8400 GS video
1 gig RAM (to be upgraded later)
120 gig HD
Old 05-28-2008, 12:58 AM

gunslinger has a spectacular aura aboutgunslinger has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to gunslinger

It took me about 10 months to get fed up with Vista and throw it out. I do think that some of the high end systems coming off the line right now with SP1 pre-installed are much better than systems of just a few months ago, but its still no XP.
Although faster than it was, any system that will run Vista fast now will run XP 20-40% faster depending on configuration. My conclusion was if you like eye candy and have to have the newest, go with Vista. If you want something that works 100% and is compatible with almost everything made and is faster go with XP.

As a side note I have heard people say that people said the same things when XP first came out, I disagree with that thinking. If the OS was that much better people would not want to go back to XP but many people are. As a recent Mac owner I can tell you that I have not heard one person out of the hundreds that I have talked with about Macs say that they went back to Tiger from OS X Leopard. I think that says something.

I'm not bashing Vista, I'm just stating the obvious.

Last edited by gunslinger; 05-28-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:29 AM

JRDtechnet is on a distinguished road

Just saw this thread, I posted my views in this thread http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2527

As for comparing the performance of Tiger vs Leopard to XP vs Vista. Thats like comparing apples to oranges. First, Tiger came out in 2005 so thats only a 2yr difference your not going to notice much of any performance differences on the same machine unless its perhaps a 900mhz G4. Where as XP came out in 2001 when the top of the line CPUs were the Athlon XP & that really crappy first version of the Pentium 4. So XP will run a tad bit faster on a newer computer (all specs being the same) but you'll lose out on the new features and if your don't care about features and eye candy then you might as well use Win2k.

Computer Repair NJ
Old 06-04-2008, 01:25 AM

But thats where I have a problem. Vista has no useful features that I have found, and you can make XP look just like it if you just have to have eye candy. Kinda makes Vista a useless expensive novelty.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:28 AM

starfireone is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

I like Vista a lot. However, it does not run as fast as XP on the same hardware. It does have a slightly higher learning curve than XP. I get a lot of customers who want Vista removed and XP installed on their new laptop computer all the time. For me Vista is good for business at least for now!
Old 06-24-2008, 03:09 AM

ootuoyetahi is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to ootuoyetahi Send a message via AIM to ootuoyetahi Send a message via MSN to ootuoyetahi Send a message via Yahoo to ootuoyetahi
Cool 20 reasons why vista sucks

http://www.jawjab.com/20-reasons-why-vista-sucks/
Old 06-24-2008, 06:58 AM

Wow, 368 comments on that site and about 3-4 of them are pro-Vista. I agree 100%
Old 07-03-2008, 09:51 PM

Wheelie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazzo71 View Post
Firstly, let me say, I like Vista ... The only problem that I have really encountered, apart from high resource load, is compatability ... I was receiving the BSOD recently which was frustrating me no end ...
.... ROTFLMAO. Can't wait for Windows 7 ...
Old 07-04-2008, 12:53 AM

archer75 is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem with Vista really isn't Vista. It's that people don't understand it, don't like change and drivers.

Superfetch makes people think Vista is using gobs of ram when it's really just making use of idle ram. And within a few days to a few weeks superfetch is monitoring your computing habits and speeding up your commonly used apps and games. It's a good thing.

The other issue is drivers. The driver model has change from XP to Vista which is also a good thing. It needed to change. Hardware vendors have been developing for XP for so long that learning a new way of doing things takes time.
The biggest offender is Nvidia. It is well documented that the majority of crashes in Vista are Nvidia drivers, video card and motherboards. They also take a performance hit from XP to Vista whereas ATI cards are rock solid in Vista and there is no performane hit(documented by extremetech and I agree). My system with an ATI card and Intel motherboard chipset is just as fast as XP if not faster. Doesn't crash, doesn't lock up and all apps and games I have tried work just fine.

Why Windows 7 will be better is simply because it's using the same driver model as Vista. The same drivers will work and it gives hardware vendors a couple of more years for their drivers to mature.