Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 01-18-2011, 11:14 PM

Skillachi is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Setting up a static IP?

Hey guys I need you help please.

I'am trying to brush up on my networking skills, So here is my story.

A small business called me today wanting me to replace their router. They have 14 desktop computers and 3 printers. They also want a static IP address so that the printers ip address do no change if the routers resets or give problems for what ever reason in the future.

so my question is.

Do businesses have to pay their ISP for static IP address knowing that they gonna be running a network on the static ip for there business?

How does it really work for businesses compare to a home user using static IP's

Also they insist that they only want to use Linksys Router. Which is the best linksys router for such a network??
Old 01-18-2011, 11:19 PM

Jake77444 is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds like what he wanted was to assign the printer an internal ip address staticly outside of the DHCP range. This is not something you would contact the ISP about because it has nothing to do with the WAN connection

Do businesses have to pay their ISP for static IP address knowing that they gonna be running a network on the static ip for there business? Depends on the ISP

How does it really work for businesses compare to a home user using static IP's? I'm not sure what you mean, the networking fundamentals are exactly the same.

Also they insist that they only want to use Linksys Router. Which is the best linksys router for such a network? Linksys is not business class, Cisco is their business line. I would tell you to explain and educate them on the advantages but you would need to know about them first so do some research.

I recommend you educate yourself and get some more experience with this before taking this job. The questions you asked are VERY fundamental.

Cardinal Computer Services

Last edited by Jake77444; 01-18-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake77444 View Post
It sounds like what he wanted was to assign the printer an internal ip address staticly outside of the DHCP range.

So whats the steps to have the printers with a static IP outside the DHCP range?

I usually go to network settings properties to setup static Ip address with tcp/ipv4
Old 01-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Banned

iptech is on the way

No need for a static WAN IP, just set the printer's IP to a local address that's outside of the DHCP scope.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:24 PM

mraikes is just really nicemraikes is just really nicemraikes is just really nicemraikes is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillachi View Post
.......................They have 14 desktop computers and 3 printers. They also want a static IP address so that the printers ip address do no change if the routers resets or give problems for what ever reason in the future.

so my question is.

Do businesses have to pay their ISP for static IP address knowing that they gonna be running a network on the static ip for there business?

How does it really work for businesses compare to a home user using static IP's

Also they insist that they only want to use Linksys Router. Which is the best linksys router for such a network??
An external static ip (such as you might pay extra for) isn't required to have static ips internally.

If the only things that require static IPs are the printers, assign them their addresses and then set the DHCP range in the router to be above (or below) the IP's you assigned statically.

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a ukulele. And that's pretty close." Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-18-2011, 11:25 PM

ATTech is on a distinguished road

The business is small enough to have NAT running on the router you choose, so the ISP doesn't have anything to do with that.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:28 PM
Banned

iptech is on the way

Quote:
So whats the steps to have the printers with a static IP outside the DHCP range?
If the router is acting as the DHCP server (which it sounds like it is) then you'll need to set aside a range of IP addresses that can me manually assigned to network devices such as printers, servers, etc. generally the static IP addresses are set lower in the range. For a small network setting aside local addresses up to .10 is usually enough. You may also want to divide the DHCP scope into segments for LAN users, WLAN users and VPN users, this will help when locking down the firewall and NAT routing.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:33 PM

I know cisco is business class router but I don't have much experience with them. I'll have to educate my self on that.

For some reason they keep demanding a Linksys router even though its not business class, probably because its cheaper than cisco router. So what is the best Linksys router for 14 desktop computers and 3 printers ??

Last edited by Skillachi; 01-18-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:41 PM

Jake77444 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How would I go about assign the printer an internal ip address staticly outside of the DHCP range? also would the other printers on the network would be able to print to that printer with a static IP outside the DHCP range?

also I know cisco is business class router but I don't have much experience with them. I'll have to educate my self on that.

For some reason they keep demanding a Linksys router even though its not business class, probably because its cheaper than cisco router. So what is the best Linksys router for 14 desktop computers and 3 printers ??
You sir, are what we call over your head.

I recommend you contact a computer technician.

Cardinal Computer Services
Old 01-18-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake77444 View Post
You sir, are what we call over your head.

I recommend you contact a computer technician.
No Sir I'll figure it out myself Thank You All