Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-23-2008, 04:35 PM

TechnoKelvin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advanced Diagnostics And Tune Ups?

How many of you get this as a frequent request? Will my business suffer if I don't offer it? To me the topic is scary as hell. I'll explain why:

(I took this from someones site who visits these forums, forgot who you are. )

Registry cleaning:Always a tricky matter. I have a program that does this but it's still scary that something will go wrong, regardless of an undo button. (It was an expensive one and it does some amazing work so I have no doubt it won't screw me over as it even has a giant undo button as well)

Disk checks and error fixing: I don't even do this on my computer. Have had some majorly bad experiences using this program. Seems like every time I've used it over the past 10 years I always have to reformat my hard drive as my computer won't work the same afterwards.

Defragmentation: Same as above. I don't even do this on my computer. Have had some majorly bad experiences using this program. Seems like every time I've used it over the past 10 years I always have to reformat my hard drive as my computer won't work the same afterwards.

Start up applications: Easy to do, it's hard to screw this up.

Stress testing: Same as above. Easy to do, it's hard to screw this up.

Deletion of useless old files: I never use Windows Disk Cleanup as I've heard horror stories of it deleting important OS files. My program does this as well.

Internal hardware cleaning: The only thing that can go wrong here is you plugging things in the wrong way or having the pressurize air blow out the liquid on to vital parts instead of air. Right?

One last question: Is it possible to offer advanced diagnostics as a flat fee? No right? Because although you can find out what's wrong with the computer you'd be cheating yourself if you charged a flat fee to fix something you have no idea ahead of time how much time/work will be required to fix it.

Input appreciated!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:50 PM

gunslinger has a spectacular aura aboutgunslinger has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to gunslinger

I charge a flat fee for a basic clean up speed up. This includes cleaning of temp files internet garbage a scan with two antispyware programs and an antivirus, plus defrag. I also offer a full clean up package that includes cleaning the inside as well. If I find problems during the cleanup speedup, I'll tell the customer about it, if they want it fixed its my normal hourly rate.