Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 12-31-2010, 09:40 PM

tankman1989 is on a distinguished road
Question Pro's and Con;s of state/fed regulations in IT/IS - Tech repair

I had an interesting conversation with a doctor who owns his own practice. He was telling me how much of a nightmare it is dealing with his IT staff, whether they are in house or contracted. He said that there is no congruity between firms and this can create major problems in a production environment, especially if medical mal-practice is involved.

During my conversation we converged upon a point of creating state or federal licensing for IT/IS firms who serve businesses and residential clients. This would eliminate the buy who took an A+ course 15 years ago and still considers himself a "tech guru" while never updating his A+ course. it is guys like this and th pizza tech who don't have the experience, training or other requirements needed to be successful in the IT/IS world

With this licensing we should also be able to keep the "low brow" out of the industry such as people with criminal of felony history and those without any real training.

Th doctor said that he thought moving towards the direction of state and federal guidelines would be very beneficial to the IT industry. I didn't really see the downsides of the regulation/Licensing until later.

The problem I see with these regulations is that if gives the government too much control over who can be a tech, what procedures the tech can run, They could dictate which software must be used (I'm afraid that they would outlaw Linux tools)

As when government intercedes into any industry the resulting outcome is no where near what they originally promised and to do. Laws are just tools for abuse.

What are your thoughts?
Old 12-31-2010, 10:34 PM

NeutronTech will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to NeutronTech

Quote:
This would eliminate the buy who took an A+ course 15 years ago and still considers himself a "tech guru" while never updating his A+ course
Two things:
One, I took my A+ exam 10 years ago and I haven't updated it since then, nor do I intend to.

Two, I know it would be nice to help control and regulate in some fashion, but I seriously think the government has far too much reach into our lives as it is. We really do not need to add more government regulation. In fact, we need to eliminate most of it. We need to develop some sort of regulatory / licensing agency controlled by the private sector.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:51 PM

vdub12 is on a distinguished road

I highly disagree with federal regulation of the IT industry.

Every time state or federal influences hit an industry it destroys it. Just look at the contractors board. I need a license to build a fence, lol. What do you think will come of it. Maybe they will make us get a permit to remove a virus. Another point about training. An A+ is a waste of paper. I am self taught and have been for years. I have an AA and I am working on my BA but everything I have been learning getting my degrees I already knew. Well except world religions. I still don't understand why I had to take that class. However, the tech classes I have not opened a single book for and I have a 3.8 GPA. Believe it or not my only B's have been in algebra 2 and electives.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:17 PM

ljtechservices is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ljtechservices

Updating A+?

I'd like to think I've passed beyond an entry level cert.

heck I didn't even get it till I'd worked in IT for 10 years.
and then only so my employer could get a contract.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:33 PM

ATTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdub12 View Post
Well except world religions. I still don't understand why I had to take that class.
The importance of a well rounded education extends far beyond learning the theory and procedure for the tasks in which you will eventually be performing.

On topic now. A regulated industry would benefit the industry if was implemented for just that: benefiting the industry. The problem is that the government can't always deliver this. A good example is California's Bureau of Electronics and Appliance Repair. In California, you have to have a license with them in order to offer computer repair. The problem is that getting a license simply requires filling out an application and pay fee. It then lasts for two years, before you have to again, pay a fee. The kicker? There is no experience or educational requirement, no test, no review, nothing but a background check. That makes the "license" a "tax" that provides no benefit for the industry.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:35 PM

tankman1989 is on a distinguished road

I like what I hear so far! We are all on the same page, I think but correct me if I am wrong.

The other posters feel that if the government (state, local or federal) were to get involved it would turn in to a circus with more problems than ever imaginable (due to bureaucratic efficiencies). I could see techs getting a fine for removing the newest Antivirus 2011 or whatever because he is not licensed. Or maybe he installs an old hard drive which has been sitting around in the shop which my violate some policy which states only equipment produced between (dates - Dates) is permitted for repair work, even though it is perfectly fine.

It is unfortunate but I feel some kind of "governance, watchdog, czar, permits, licenses, etc) coming around the corner, specially with the "terrorists" using the Internet as a means of communication and an attack vehicle.

So, how would you feel about a doctor who thinks that the state/fed is the answer to the problems in the IT field? This is a scary idea and proposition.

It is my belief and goal to make the IT/IS world comes up with it's own form of self-regulation for standards, and such through out the industry. There are SO many of us that this could be a very powerful organization as most of all business depends upon the infrastructure that WE installed and that WE maintain. This gives a great deal of leverage but we should not be looking to take total control but simply and slowly introduce non-biased testing for all fields and these testings will have to be maintained at a set interval.

I believe that our community is the only community which has the capability of accurately and efficiently organizing testing and certifications.

To make a long story short, WE NEED TO START DOING SOMETHING before the government stepps in and messes it all up. I highly suggest making use of government grants that are available for these types of issues.

So, does anyone have any interest in looking into this deeper on the NON-GOVERNMENT side? Think of it as an "Open Source" method of certification and licensing.

Please let me know what you think.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:23 AM

Styxbound is an unknown quantity at this point

Government grants? "The road to Hell...". Not wanting to be insulting__but I seriously suggest you stop looking for trouble and enjoy what you have. The heavy foot and ravenous greed of government will almost certainly come down on you quite soon enough, as they seek more power and money. And I doubt you'll find it tasty when it does.

Apparently your doctor finds government much more palatable than my son, also an M.D., who tells me every single thing he does is regulated.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:57 AM

vdub12 is on a distinguished road

I think we are already regulated to a point.

Real Techs

Pizza Techs
Old 01-01-2011, 01:04 AM

datadatau is an unknown quantity at this point

Regulation will lead to higher cost of doing business and will further complicate our field.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:23 AM

red12049 has a spectacular aura aboutred12049 has a spectacular aura about

Heh. Pick a field that is licensable. Now, study the history of that licensing. In every case, without fail, you will find that the folks who lobbied for that licensing were already well entrenched in that field, wanted to preserve their little fiefdom, and raise the barriers to entry.

Licensing is not about protecting the population, or the little guy. As usual, it's all about who has the money.

Rick