Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 12-19-2010, 07:12 AM

IAMPC is on a distinguished road

Look up the laws in your state/city about that. Even if you had him singe a paper, it really wouldn't matter. If you get rid of that PC and he goes to court, you can be responsible for it. Most states have a 6 months to a year policy if I'm not wrong.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:22 AM

ZenTree will become famous soon enough

We recently checked on the UK law on this and it was annoyingly on their side. You had to give them written notice and then wait another period of time (I think it was something stupid like 3 months) before disposing of the unit. We have a T&C where it states if they do not collect within a month after notification of the repair being completed we can dispose of it. I'm not sure if the customer signing this overrides the previous or not. We have had some customers come back after a YEAR though to ask about computers.

In once instance she had gone to prison. Why the family couldn't have picked it up I don't know but they were a nightmare afterwards as well.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:19 PM

pceinc is on a distinguished road

New customers pay a deposit so they have something invested going in.
Most of the time you can probably sell the until for more than the repair bill and make a few bucks extra if it goes that far.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:34 AM

tarik is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenTree View Post
We recently checked on the UK law on this and it was annoyingly on their side. You had to give them written notice and then wait another period of time (I think it was something stupid like 3 months) before disposing of the unit. We have a T&C where it states if they do not collect within a month after notification of the repair being completed we can dispose of it. I'm not sure if the customer signing this overrides the previous or not. We have had some customers come back after a YEAR though to ask about computers.

In once instance she had gone to prison. Why the family couldn't have picked it up I don't know but they were a nightmare afterwards as well.
I think its 6 months from when you first notify them here in the UK. The law is Tortes or something like that. ill look it up when im in the shop tomorrow as i have it saved. you do have to send them recorded/registered mail stating their goods will be disposed off though.
Also if you sell it for more than what the owe you then legally you have to pass that extra money onto them. Just never sell it for more than what they owe you
Old 12-20-2010, 12:38 AM

Sondor is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll second the suggestion that you check the local laws. If you are in the US, try a search in your state for 'Abandoned Property' laws.

Having to hold the property for 90 days after some sort of documented reminder (certified letter for example) is the norm.

A reminder of the abandoned property rule on the property receipt they sign when dropping the system off is wise as previously recommended too.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:34 AM

JAG Computers is an unknown quantity at this point

I did some checking and I cannot find anything regarding unclaimed property in regards to computers and such for Nebraska. So far it looks like my having a notice on my work order is sufficient for anything not claimed in 90 days.

JAG Computers

Last edited by JAG Computers; 12-20-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Cadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik View Post
I think its 6 months from when you first notify them here in the UK. The law is Tortes or something like that. ill look it up when im in the shop tomorrow as i have it saved. you do have to send them recorded/registered mail stating their goods will be disposed off though.
Also if you sell it for more than what the owe you then legally you have to pass that extra money onto them. Just never sell it for more than what they owe you
It is a period of 6 months, from the date you first contacted them. All letters have to be signed for.

Firstly, you send them a recorded delivery, giving them 3 months notice. Then after that has passed, you have to give them another signed for letter, giving another 3 months. From then if they have failed to respond, the item in question is yours.

I know this, as I have had to do it on 2 seperate occasions here. One was for a neighbour (10 houses away!!).

Also all notes are required to be saved ie, time and date of messages left, what was said by both parties.

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 12-20-2010, 08:53 AM

tarik is on a distinguished road

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1977/32

thats the legislation for the UK if im not mistaken
Old 12-20-2010, 09:18 AM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Any Ozzies following this thread? - I would be interested to know if anyone knows what options we have under law here...