Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 12-18-2010, 11:19 PM

baccart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to deal with Dead Beats!

I am a startup repair service, but been in Corporate IT since 1997.

I Did a Windows Re-Install on a PC for reasonable price. Guy told me he will pick it up Next Thursday. This continued for every week for about a month. I then leave a VM telling him I would have to charge $5 per day for storage after a deadline. Deadline passes, he calls making up a story about someone passing away(fumbling to make up relations i.e. wife's sisters husbands nepehews mother etc). I give him another week, this goes on for another 3 weeks. I then tell him if he does not pick it up by "deadline" it will be recycled due to shortage of space. He was pissed, but the deadline came and nothing. I still have the PC, what should I do with it? Can you guys tell me how to handle this in the future?
Old 12-18-2010, 11:24 PM

14049752 has a spectacular aura about14049752 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccart View Post

I Did a Windows Re-Install on a PC for reasonable price. Guy told me he will pick it up Next Thursday. This continued for every week for about a month. I then leave a VM telling him I would have to charge $5 per day for storage after a deadline. Deadline passes, he calls making up a story about someone passing away(fumbling to make up relations i.e. wife's sisters husbands nepehews mother etc). I give him another week, this goes on for another 3 weeks. I then tell him if he does not pick it up by "deadline" it will be recycled due to shortage of space. He was pissed, but the deadline came and nothing. I still have the PC, what should I do with it? Can you guys tell me how to handle this in the future?
First, you should have him sign off on terms of service, stating that any equipment left after XX days will be considered abandoned and become your property. Make sure you look up laws pertaining to you, because there can be legal requirements to do such a thing..such as sending a certified letter, or whatever.
Next, do what you say you'll do with it. We say 60 days, it's ours...but honestly, we usually wait a lot longer. After a while, we just pull good parts, mark it in the records, and we're done with it.

As for this one, if he owes you money, you (again) should consult laws about what you're allowed to do with it. Either take your parts out of it, and recycle it or whatever, after making your final contact with him.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:38 PM

Robert is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Our process is...

14 days after the customer has been advised their job is ready (unless they tell us when they'll be in), they get a letter advising them to collect their kit.

30 days after we send the letter (as per the legal requirement in NSW), their equipment is recycled.

After a while, you'll get enough people who want to use your shop for storage - you don't have much choice but to have a streamlined process for dealing with these jobs.

TechNibble member discount - Up to 50% off!

iFetch Web Hosting - Coming Soon!
Old 12-19-2010, 12:10 AM

loaner is an unknown quantity at this point

this is how you deal with deadbeats....

you tell them how it's gonna be, then you do it. the end

roy
Old 12-19-2010, 12:26 AM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

You will need something in writing

Either a service agreement you had him sign at start of work or a letter as described above.

Before proceeding on any course of action you should check the local state/federal laws of the area you are in to see where you stand.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:32 AM

loaner is an unknown quantity at this point

he doesn't need any "course of action". it's a re-install. everything is wiped out on the rig...

as far as i'm concerned, all he needs is a buyer. I'd sell it, or use it. I'd throw it behind a beer joint before the owner got it back without paying.

what's the guy gonna do...tell people that baccart stole his computer because he woudn't pay him....REALLY?

Last edited by loaner; 12-19-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:48 AM

JAG Computers is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Here is how I deal with deadbeats:

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Work Order
Any computer (includes system, monitor, peripherals, and related devices that were serviced) not received by client after 90 days from date of service will be considered abandoned and become the property of JAG Computers.
This is part of my work order which is signed before I do any work.

JAG Computers
Old 12-19-2010, 01:24 AM

PR Tech is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know. I am feeling like you should give this guy a bit more time, maybe 30 days. Who knows if he is telling the truth about a death in the family or not. It doesn't really matter what the excuse is. He already sounds like someone who is going to possibly give you trouble and put up a bit of a fight. The last thing you want to do is to end up in court, spending your valuable time, defending your decision to part out the system or resell it. The hassle is just not worth it IMO. I completely understand the advice given to you to move the computer out of the shop to recoup your costs. You can only hold so many computers before your shop becomes unruly and cluttered. However, as a computer shop owner who handles people's valued property, you need to be ultra-respectful (even though he currently is showing you no respect at all). The way the client sees it, you may as well be caring for their first born child. It seems as though people are THAT passionate about their computers these days. In the meantime, send at least 2 registered letters and continue with phone calls/e-mail. Then you know you will have done just about all you can to clear up the matter.

www.PasoRoblesTech.com
Old 12-19-2010, 01:51 AM

stro has a spectacular aura aboutstro has a spectacular aura about

I always keep things about twice as long as I tell the customer I am going to.

Actually had it a couple of years ago, this dude brings in a box of 3 P1 laptops wants to combine them into one working laptop. He never shows to pick it up. After 6 months I put the stuff on a way back shelf that I tend to forget about. 16 months after the guy dropped the stuff off, he shows up wanting his stuff. Turns out the dude got arrested and sentenced to a year in jail. I guess he had a good excuse for not picking his stuff up
Old 12-19-2010, 05:46 AM

meanderer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stro View Post
I always keep things about twice as long as I tell the customer I am going to.

Actually had it a couple of years ago, this dude brings in a box of 3 P1 laptops wants to combine them into one working laptop. He never shows to pick it up. After 6 months I put the stuff on a way back shelf that I tend to forget about. 16 months after the guy dropped the stuff off, he shows up wanting his stuff. Turns out the dude got arrested and sentenced to a year in jail. I guess he had a good excuse for not picking his stuff up
That's why you try not to do things that gets you in jail.

I need to put that term into my work order as soon as possible....