Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 12-16-2010, 02:39 AM

lan101 is on a distinguished road
Default Keyboard and Mouse refuse to work in windows

I have an older P4 Asus motherboard machine here with windows xp home edition on it.

The keyboard will work fine in BIOS but once windows loads up, neither the mouse or the keyboard will work. It will not work in safe mode either.

I have tried 2 different sets of PS/2 keyboard/mouse and a set of USB keyboard/mouse to no avail.

All of these work on another pc I have sitting right here.

I was going to attempt a repair install of xp, but they have a RAID configuration and I do not have the driver for it. The customer may have it, but I won't know that until tomorrow.

I was wondering if anyone has ran across any solutions to this without having to repair/format.

Thank you,

Landon
Old 12-16-2010, 02:56 AM

quick update:

I put the hard drives in "IDE" mode and switched the cable on the motherboard to IDE. The windows xp setup recognized it now. There is no option to Repair but I could format. I really don't want to resort to that if we don't have to.

Thank you,

Landon Hulbert
Old 12-16-2010, 04:04 AM

tech0007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Keyboard and Mouse refuse to work in windows

thx for the update.this kinda feedback helps other techs.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:17 AM

PC Ops will become famous soon enough

Forgive me if this sounds too simple but when trying an usb keyboard/mouse, did you enable legacy usb in bios?
Old 12-16-2010, 10:21 PM

AdamsAPlus is on a distinguished road

Yes I have seen this before. When I saw it, it was because the user cut power to his computer while it was installing a driver. That was like 1.5 years ago or maybe longer.

I tried everything I could. Worked on it for days. What confused me what that I couldn't use USB or PS2 Mouse or Keyboard. But I could plug in a USB Flashdrive and it would notice I plugged it in.

I ended up having to Format. After I formatted a friend of mine (another Computer Tech) told me that I should have used ERD Commander. He said that I could have stopped the services from there. And there was some Registry key that I could have changed. I don't know. I'm no expert on the Registry.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:13 AM

Yes I did make sure legacy support was enabled.

I didn't have time today to do any further work on this machine.

I was looking is the erd commander a free program? It appears like it is on a few sites then others it does not.

Thank you guys,

Landon
Old 12-17-2010, 07:54 AM

NeutronTech will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to NeutronTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsAPlus View Post
Yes I have seen this before. When I saw it, it was because the user cut power to his computer while it was installing a driver. That was like 1.5 years ago or maybe longer.

I tried everything I could. Worked on it for days. What confused me what that I couldn't use USB or PS2 Mouse or Keyboard. But I could plug in a USB Flashdrive and it would notice I plugged it in.

I ended up having to Format. After I formatted a friend of mine (another Computer Tech) told me that I should have used ERD Commander. He said that I could have stopped the services from there. And there was some Registry key that I could have changed. I don't know. I'm no expert on the Registry.
How do you run a program or change registry keys when the keyboard and mouse doesn't work in normal or safe mode? Or do they work in recovery console?
Old 12-17-2010, 01:20 PM

ATTech is on a distinguished road

ERD commander is a live cd, last I checked. But to answer the question fully: remote registry and.psexec.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:02 AM

To update:

Ended up doing a format on the machine. There really wasn't much on it other than just some games. It seems to work just fine now. I never really did figure out why it happened. Another tech friend of mine told me that asus motherboards bios are known for corrupting after a period of time, so that could be the case. Everything is working well now.

Thank you,

Landon
Old 12-22-2010, 04:10 PM

AdamsAPlus is on a distinguished road

Yes ERD Commander is a live CD. If your mouse and keyboard do not work because of a driver install hanging up. (like what happened to me). Then the keyboard and mouse will still work when booted up to ERD Commandar. Also you could have used the idea of booting up to a live disk of Ubuntu or some other Linux.

Which brings me to the question - Is there any way of editing the Windows registry from Linux? I use Ubuntu for some troubleshooting but I am still very green when it comes to Linux.

About ERD Commander. I know you can get it if you are a registered Microsoft TechNet. I got it through a place I use to work. Other than that I don't know how else you can get it legally. I do know you can do a torrent search for MSDaRT. For those who don't know ERD Commander was created by Wintales and Microsoft bought them out. ERD Commander was for Windows XP. For Vista and Win7 Microsoft changed the name to MSDaRT. ERD Commander is for XP, MSDaRT 6.0 32bit is for Vista 32bit (64bit for 64bit) MSDaRT 6.5 is for Win7 (32bit for 32bit and 64bit for 64bit)

Adams A Plus Blog

CompTIA A+, CompTIA Net+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS: Windows Vista, MSITP: Enterprise Support
DCSE