Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 12-12-2010, 03:06 AM

Chrisb41 is on a distinguished road
Default Won't go past Dell Bios Logo

Hi,

I got a dell inspiron 530s given to me to look at. It will not get past the BIOS screen and the keyboard and mouse wont work. (They do on other computers)
So i can't get into anything and i also can't boot from CD. Never seen this problem before.
The BIOS is version 1.03.
Any ideas???

Thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 03:12 AM

Knightsman is on a distinguished road

Something is bad, bad hardware, bad cable, bad memory stick. Start taking things off 1 by 1, starting with keyboard, then just the mouse, then just modem etc.

Although its weird for the mouse and keyboard not to work..might be the sign of bad mb
Old 12-12-2010, 04:06 AM
Banned

Xander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really nice

Had a Dell the other day that did much the same. Basically, I reset the CMOS and reseated all the connections, including RAM. Next boot up was fine.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:12 AM

I had it shutdown for a bit while i did something else more important than came back to it and it started up but it took a long time to get past the logo. I don't know whats happening but i will keep track of it and see what happens.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:27 PM

Knightsman is on a distinguished road

If it takes a long time, normally something is messing it up. Have you tried removing things separately? I see this all the time with my repair jobs. Sometimes its just the printer USB cable that causes it. The other day it was the cable going from the board to the DVD drive.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:27 PM

netv2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Make hard reset (keep press power button without battery and power cord for 20 seconds). Boot the laptop with fn button pressed and check what led is blink and post it here
Old 12-12-2010, 10:34 PM

dannyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisb41 View Post
Hi,

I got a dell inspiron 530s given to me to look at. It will not get past the BIOS screen and the keyboard and mouse wont work. (They do on other computers)
So i can't get into anything and i also can't boot from CD. Never seen this problem before.
The BIOS is version 1.03.
Any ideas???

Thanks
As a technician or a wannabe technician what have you done to diagnose the cause of this problem, im not being harsh but if you want to fix pc's for a living then you will see this sort of problem time and time again.

But as a pointer i will tell you that something attached to the pc inside or out is the likely cause of the problem, your job is to find out what.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:55 PM

I figured it out the cable to the hard drive was loose so i think it could get a connection sometimes. it is running fine now just doing a tune up of the system now. I had already opened the case and had a look inside and took everything out and put it back in and all but that did not work. then i noticed that the cable plug was at an angle to the hard drive so i just gave that a push and it clicked it. So thats what i understand to be the problem and it is working now.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:44 PM

dannyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done so now if you ever see this problem again the first thing that will pop in your mind will be to check that everything is connected correctly, that is a crucial part of being a tech learning by experience.