Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 12-07-2010, 08:23 PM

Bobbing is on a distinguished road
Talking How to overcome the 2.2TB barrier of hard disks

Disk Unlocker- a brand new exclusive (patent pending) technology from ASUS. This is the first software solution to overcome current operating system limitations that prevent a hard disk drive from utilizing more than 2048GB (also known as 2.2TB). With just a few clicks, Disk Unlocker taps into hidden storage space beyond the nominal 2048GB range, helping you use large hard drives to their maximum potential.

http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/Disk_Unlocker/
Old 12-07-2010, 08:31 PM

Blues is on a distinguished road

I just formatted a 3TB USB drive this weekend and transfered ~1TB to it so I can't say that it let me use the full capacity but it did format it to 2.75TB which is within the margin I have seen for lost space and on the high end but the user won't even use half the drive so I'm not worried. My question being what does this utility do then as from what I saw it doesn't look like I had any trouble with more than 2.2TB.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:46 PM

Bobbing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues View Post
I just formatted a 3TB USB drive this weekend and transfered ~1TB to it so I can't say that it let me use the full capacity but it did format it to 2.75TB which is within the margin I have seen for lost space and on the high end but the user won't even use half the drive so I'm not worried. My question being what does this utility do then as from what I saw it doesn't look like I had any trouble with more than 2.2TB.
It's for boot drives.

Read why here:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2373704,00.asp
Old 12-08-2010, 01:58 AM

vdub12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbing View Post
Disk Unlocker- a brand new exclusive (patent pending) technology from ASUS. This is the first software solution to overcome current operating system limitations that prevent a hard disk drive from utilizing more than 2048GB (also known as 2.2TB). With just a few clicks, Disk Unlocker taps into hidden storage space beyond the nominal 2048GB range, helping you use large hard drives to their maximum potential.

http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/Disk_Unlocker/
The 2.2Tb limit only applies to the active partition. Storage drives don't suffer from this limitation.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:56 PM

Blues is on a distinguished road

Thanks I figured I was missing some detail and I also wanted to know does this apply to RAIDs built from multiple drive to exceed 2.2 TB?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:23 PM

vdub12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks I figured I was missing some detail and I also wanted to know does this apply to RAIDs built from multiple drive to exceed 2.2 TB?
If they are the active partition then yes.

However, for what purpose would you have a raid over 2.2Tb in a primary partition? I would assume if you wanted a giant raid it would be for a file server of some kind and for that I would recommend that data be on a separate partition. Why would you want to constantly defrag 12Tb if the OS is only 30Gb tops.

I plan to build a file 12Tb file server soon using either OpenSUSE of freenas. Not sure if I want it to be just an appliance yet. When I do I plan to have a single small drive, or maybe even a small mirror with the OS on it and a 12Tb raid5 as the data drive. I may use OpenSUSE just because I would like to use it as a Myth back-end as well. That way I don't need two media servers in my office. I could use the file server to also control the media back-end. However, when that happens I want to be able to update or even reload or replace the OS without harming the raid. That way as new and better versions of myth comes out I am not stuck with backing up 12Tb to upgrade.