Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Networking

Technibble Sponsor

Old 12-04-2010, 04:31 PM

Wheelie is on a distinguished road
Default What is the Best Long Range Wireless Adapter?

Do any of you know of a proven long-distance USB wireless adapter? By "proven" I mean that either you have found it to be tried and true in those difficult remote locations or you have a web link to a test that demonstrates products with good long-range functionality.

What wireless adapters do you use to solve distance/throughput problems. For about 6 years I have used the Linksys WUSB54G adapter. It is the only adapter I have ever found that will connect when located in remote parts of very large homes or businesses. This device has worked in nearly every situation I have run across so it has been a life-saver for sure.

Pros: Easy to set up without the Linksys Utility (drivers only). Long USB cable helps optimize positioning to get it physically placed to work well. Very reliable (little or no failed units).

Cons: 802.11b/g only (not N rated), size is a bit bulky, production of these units have ceased and finding new units are becoming scarce.

I am currently evaluating other USB wireless adapters but have not faound anything that works as well yet.

Would love to hear what works for you in the "problem areas".

Old 12-04-2010, 11:37 PM

wimwauters is on a distinguished road

If needs must, we usually find a way to run CAT5e or CAT6: where there's a will, there's a way. Sometimes you do also need an electrician with a big drill

Thanks for USB adapter tip, I normally do this:

Phase 1:
- replacing the antenna of the PCI wifi adapter with a higher gain one
- using a USB extension lead for the USB adapter, so it can be better positioned

Phase 2:
- replacing the router/AP antenna(s) with a one that is less 'omni'-directional

Phase 3
- installing Ethernet-over-power adapters, with one end being an AP

Phase 4
- run CAT5e/6 cable, if needed call electrician or cable installer.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:17 AM

DarDar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
Do any of you know of a proven long-distance USB wireless adapter? By "proven" I mean that either you have found it to be tried and true in those difficult remote locations or you have a web link to a test that demonstrates products with good long-range functionality.

What wireless adapters do you use to solve distance/throughput problems. For about 6 years I have used the Linksys WUSB54G adapter. It is the only adapter I have ever found that will connect when located in remote parts of very large homes or businesses. This device has worked in nearly every situation I have run across so it has been a life-saver for sure.

Pros: Easy to set up without the Linksys Utility (drivers only). Long USB cable helps optimize positioning to get it physically placed to work well. Very reliable (little or no failed units).

Cons: 802.11b/g only (not N rated), size is a bit bulky, production of these units have ceased and finding new units are becoming scarce.

I am currently evaluating other USB wireless adapters but have not faound anything that works as well yet.

Would love to hear what works for you in the "problem areas".

Totally agree about the range of that model. i got the very model as one of my first wifi devices and it has always been the one i return to for a longer range.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:53 AM

PR Tech is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not personally used the Engenius adapters - so my apologies for the not proven part. I have used, however, the Engenius Wireless Access Points and this company's stuff is phenomenal. The EUB-362 EXT adapter has 200mW power output. Possibly worth checking out??

http://www.engeniustech.com/index.ph...-g-usb-adapter

www.PasoRoblesTech.com
Old 12-13-2010, 05:12 PM

Wheelie is on a distinguished road

The Engenius adapters look like they are very good performers (great find BTW) and users have reviewed them positively. I will order a few of them and let you know how they do.

I find it pretty amazing how far in a home or business you can get using the Netgear RangeMax router and the Linksys WUSB54G. That is much easier than the alternatives (which occasionally happens).

Old 12-15-2010, 01:48 AM

EdEllingham is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a lot of other things to consider depending on the situation keep in mind. If you're going for distance B will go further than G, but carry less bandwidth. N will reach further than both of them and is also designed to go around things and still carry a lot of bandwidth. If you're shooting for distance try 5Gig as there will most likely be less noise, but 5Gig doesn't handle things in it's path as well. Me personally, if you're trying to go a decent distance use a bridge like a Ubiquiti NanoLoco. Cheap, built in antenna and uses PoE (PowerOverEthernet), and is very reliable. Can also use them as an AP. If you need a little more umph check out more of the Ubiquiti products. I *heart* Ubiquiti. As you can tell from some of my other posts I work for a Wireless ISP as my 9-5 so I deal with sending data miles using wireless devices.

Ed
Old 02-26-2011, 09:21 PM

sys-eng is an unknown quantity at this point

My favorite costs less than $30. I resell one of these at least twice a month.

Rosewill RNX-N180UBE IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter (1T2R) / 5 dBi External Antenna / Up to 300Mbps Wireless Download Data Rates 64/128-bit WEP (Hex & ASCII), WPA/WPA2, WPA(TKIP with IEEE 802.1x)/WPA2(AES with IEEE 802.1x)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-056-_-Product