Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-05-2008, 10:39 PM

generalj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Setting up POS

Just wondered if anyone could give me insight on POS setup.

I have never done one but figured I might want to get information on it as I may get a job for one someday.

I understand what they are. Just never installed or configured one.

Are they hard?

Also do your clients usually have the equipment or do they usually ask you to provide one. If so what ones do you like?

What all is on a pos system usually? A front counter terminal, a backend server? etc?

Do they include a credit card processor usually? I mean as part of your setup for a job is that something you also hook up?
Old 04-06-2008, 04:39 AM

Jory is on a distinguished road

I have a customer that owns a bunch of fast food restaurants and I work on their POS stuff quite a bit. They provide all their own equipment from Micros I think it is. Micros handles their direct tech support through a dial-in VNC connection.

All the systems are pretty straight forward minus the software they use. They're just specially built computers with a touchscreen. Sometimes they don't have a CD/DVD drive so you'll want an external to bring with you. Occasionally you'll run into a setup with a backend server, but from what I've seen it has little to do with the registers, and more to do with a timer system management uses to make sure everyone is doing their job. This could be different at other places since there is good reason to have a central server keeping track of all your sales.

From what I've seen they usually have their credit card machine built into the monitor, or at least hooked up to their computer in one way or another. It handles all the credit cards, and gift cards.

Almost all my work comes from the printers attached to them since that's not covered by tech support, although I've had a few jobs where the monitor, or modem (for CCs) is broke and Micros already sent the replacement part. You're not likely to run into a complicated problem since it's only used as a POS.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:09 AM

hawks5999 is on the way
Send a message via Skype™ to hawks5999

you might be able to use onforce to bring on a POS installer for a specific project. I've seen a lot of POS installs show up on onforce in my area and they seem to get the job done. If you are a one man shop, consider that you can't be all things to all people by yourself. But you can outsource your weaknesses and focus on building your strengths. As you continue to build your business you want to become the trusted adviser to your client so that when they have a need you are the first person they call. They know that you can't do everything but you can find them the right person. So begin expanding your personal network to include complimentary service providers - such as POS installers.

Here are some other types of professionals you want to add your network so you can call them in as your client needs grow and they can in turn refer you to their clients:
Cabling
Phone Systems
Web Development
Accounting (find people that do Quickbooks and others that do Dynamics/GP)
Physical Security (ADT, Sonitrol, etc.)
Data Center/Colo