Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 11-28-2010, 01:15 AM

IAMPC is on a distinguished road
Default iPad cannibalizes laptop market

We already know the sales of desktops are down but for those of you who haven't seen this article about laptop sales, it is an interesting read...

iPad cannibalizes laptop market
Old 11-28-2010, 01:31 AM

Appletax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMPC View Post
We already know the sales of desktops are down but for those of you who haven't seen this article about laptop sales, it is an interesting read...

iPad cannibalizes laptop market
The weakest part about the iPad that I bet a lot of people see as
being a deal breaker is that it has no USB port.

It's not a true tablet PC with a full operating system and ports to
connect all the usual peripherals you'd connect to a regular
computer.

And, it has 256 MB of RAM, which is ridiculous for 2010.

I'd rather have the HP Slate 500

Better yet, I'd rather have an HP Mini netbook or a nice full-sized Sony laptop
Old 11-28-2010, 01:48 AM

Paul Rodgers will become famous soon enough

I am actually trying to convince my full time employer to purchase an iPad for one of the salesmen. I think it would be great for people who are constantly getting into trouble with Windows based systems.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:56 AM

datadatau is an unknown quantity at this point

Apple tax,

I assume from your comments that you are not an iPad user. The iPad system is actually very robust, that is very adequate for the purpose it serves.

I am not going to say that I necessarily agree with the article in the original post, I believe for many users, the iPad has a valid place depending on the functionality that they need, while for others it will not fit the bill. I use it as a tool, but by no means a laptop replacement.

PS. This response was written on an iPad
Old 11-28-2010, 01:59 AM

Appletax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadatau View Post
Apple tax,

I assume from your comments that you are not an iPad user. The iPad system is actually very robust, that is very adequate for the purpose it serves.

I am not going to say that I necessarily agree with the article in the original post, I believe for many users, the iPad has a valid place depending on the functionality that they need, while for others it will not fit the bill. I use it as a tool, but by no means a laptop replacement.

PS. This response was written on an iPad
That's a good point

I don't care for the 1st generation of iPads, but I'd probably be inclined
to like the next because it will probably have dual video cameras and more
RAM and other goodies

Do you use your iPad for on-site service? I would rather have a netbook for that purpose
because it'd be easier to use the physical keyboard and I'd be able to sneaker net files
between computers if I had to.

Last edited by Appletax; 11-28-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:12 AM

datadatau is an unknown quantity at this point

I do take it onsite, but also have a full size laptop handy.
I use the iPad for reference to documentation, generate receipts, accept credit card payments, and web browsing if needed.

Like stated earlier, I use it as a tool.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:39 AM

Appleby is on a distinguished road

As I've stated in other posts here, the iPad IS having a negative effect on laptop usage and my business. The number of my customers who have essentially given up their laptops for the iPads is getting larger every month. Some of these customers have gone from 4 home pcs to 1, plus 2 iPads. Another long time customer told me a couple weeks ago that the new laptop I helped him purchase and setup for his wife 6 months ago has been given to their adult daughter. His wife now has no need for laptop because she can "do everything on her new iPad that she ever did on her laptop."

I can think of a 100 common tasks that the iPad fails miserably at and most of these are tasks that I would think any "average Joe" home user would want to do. But I'm wrong....the "average Joe" does so much less with their pc than I give them credit for. I'm finding more and more that pcs are nothing more than internet machines for most of my customers. Even iPhones are replacing laptops for many of my customers. As an iPhone user myself I find this hard to imagine. However, my wife is the perfect example. As I type this she is using her iPhone to surf the web and check FB, which she would have been using her laptop for a year ago.
Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one. - Matthew 5:37
Old 11-28-2010, 05:55 AM

Paul Rodgers will become famous soon enough

Become an Apple reseller. That way you can capitalize on the switch. I know a tech that hasn't touched his laptop since he purchased his iPad. I'm not a fan of Apple products, but the iPad interests me. These people still need one computer to use itunes though. That's one computer hooked up to the internet with a good chance of having p2p software installed.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:07 AM

vdub12 is on a distinguished road

Apples problem is there hardware is just way to expensive. I was looking for an ipod touch for my daughter for Christmas and it costs more then the iphone 4. Apple has got to lower there prices before they are going to be a thret to any market. As far as I am concerned Apple products are for yuppies with to much money.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:35 AM

K007 is an unknown quantity at this point

That comes to show what Regular Joe really needs.
Steve Jobs did his homework and found out that vast majority
are paying buckets of money for laptops which come with things they'll never use.