Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 11-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Cadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the rough
Default Acer recovery partition password

Hi all, I have a client with a Acer Aspire 9301AWSMI, running MCE.

Now my client wishes to have a n&p on their own accord.

I have backed up all relevant docs etc, and come to do the recovery using the inbuilt alt F10 combination.

Now there is a password set on this recovery partition. My client cannot remember the password.

Does anyone know, of any software, which will allow me to bypass this password please?

One option is to order recovery media, which is ok, but will take time. As usual, client wishes for the job to be completed asap.

Or would the xp 9-1 combination be of use with this, as it has xp mce built in, ready for installation. The only issue I can think of doing it this way, would be the activation, as I have encountered on another thread.

thanks for your time, and any help offered.

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 11-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Banned

iptech is on the way

I believe Acer uses Ghost image files. I would try a partition manager to unhide the recovery partition and extract the recovery image using a Ghost boot disk.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Cadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that iptech. I will give it a shot shortly. I've put that system to one side for the moment, to carry on with other jobs. Will come back to it later, and post back the findings.

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 11-26-2010, 12:56 PM

Styxbound is an unknown quantity at this point

Try the xp-something on Hirens, Nige; it's worked for me on recovery partitions.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:02 PM

fixitdaz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to fixitdaz

When it asks for the password, you need to type one found in the file aimdrs.dat.
1. Download Partedit32 launch the program and change the type of the partition pqservice from 27 to 7.

2. Restart the computer press F2 on boot to enter the bios, and then disable the option (d2drecovery).

3. Restart and press F8 several times until you reach the Windows recovery menu, choose the option : command prompt. The windows open and now there is a letter for a new drive, x for example.

4. Type "dir" and seek the file "aimdrs.dat". Then type this command at the prompt : "Copy aimdrs.dat C:"

5. Restart your computer normally, open a notepad browse for your file open it and recover your password. Do not forget to restore your partition pqservice in its initial state with partedit32, and to reactivate the D2D recovery option in the bios.

from link

Last edited by fixitdaz; 11-26-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:27 PM

ekrizon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitdaz View Post
When it asks for the password, you need to type one found in the file aimdrs.dat.
1. Download Partedit32 launch the program and change the type of the partition pqservice from 27 to 7.

2. Restart the computer press F2 on boot to enter the bios, and then disable the option (d2drecovery).

3. Restart and press F8 several times until you reach the Windows recovery menu, choose the option : command prompt. The windows open and now there is a letter for a new drive, x for example.

4. Type "dir" and seek the file "aimdrs.dat". Then type this command at the prompt : "Copy aimdrs.dat C:"

5. Restart your computer normally, open a notepad browse for your file open it and recover your password. Do not forget to restore your partition pqservice in its initial state with partedit32, and to reactivate the D2D recovery option in the bios.

from link
Yes this is correct, the p/w is written in plain text in that file. However I have done this many times and never needed to go through all those steps. Just launch an explorer or partition program that can browse hidden partitions and open that file with notepad... Thats it.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Thanks for all the advice given guys.

I followed the directions as given by daz to the letter. Attempts to reboot to command prompt failed. System halted.

Rang Acer, to see if there was a back door password, I could use. They gave me 000000 as a factory password. Tried that, password failed.

Rang my client, told him, what issues im having, and to see if he could remember any passwords from the hint given. Client gave me a few choices. Tried all those, all failed.

Told client, the only thing left now, is to order some recovery discs. These would cost approx 40-60, and would take approx 7 days to reach me.

Client does not want to wait that long, and will make do with the laptop as it is.

Just wanted to keep everyone updated with what happened. Thanks again for all the help.

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 11-27-2010, 11:25 AM

Came across this if you wont to give it one moor shot

IN the recovery partion there is a file
\TOOLS\AIMDRS.DAT
which contains the password.

Now you have to get in!
I think a decent partition manager should enable you to browse a partitioon (partitionmagix, acronis disk director,etc.)
otherwise you have to takethe risk and set D2D on in the BIOS,press Alt-F10 just after BIOS screens and press Ctrl-C when the system boots into the recovery partition to break out of the autoexec.bat.
After that is just:
TYPE TOOLS/AIMDRS.DAT

Note that this may be slightly different for your model, but the principle will be the same: there must be a file that stores the password, and since you changed the pwd it must be one of the few most recent files in the partition.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the info daz. My client was with me earlier this morning, when I was attempting all the above fixes, and has taken his laptop with him.

He knows I wasn't attempting to BS him, when he saw the amount of work being undertaken in an attempt to get this password.

Now though as I say, he has taken it with him. He is away on business for a few weeks on Mon, hence why he needed it doing rather quickly.

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 11-27-2010, 12:12 PM

OK, shame we will never no, I have put the two processes on file and I will try them when I next get a Acer Aspire in, well it was worth a shot you would think a big company like acer would have a way to recover it, some company's will let you speak to one of there technicians, you get trade secrets of some of them who don't mind sharing the info with other technicians, if you no what I mean.