Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 11-10-2010, 08:29 AM

goldmercury is on a distinguished road
Default Dusty and dirty computers/laptops

What do you guys use to clean laptops and desktops? I've had a couple in over the last weeek that are in a real state.

I'm thinking not to clean the computer as that's not why the customer brought it to me however if I don't I know they'll be back with a hardware failure eventually due to the dusty conditions of there system.

Thoughts? Maybe I should tell the customer about the state of their machine and charge them extra for a cleaning service. What to use a vacum or compressed air? Things about compressed air is it really just moves the dust around.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:23 AM

TLE is on a distinguished road

If I bring a laptop or desktop home, it is always given a clean inside and out as a courtesy. The cases are blown our with an air compressor, the case and keyboards are cleaned with Antibacterial wipes, and then polished with MrSheen wipes. Lastly the screen is cleaned.

It's just a nice personal touch which doesn't take long, and for the most part, they usually notice the difference and comment on it.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:34 AM

hext is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE View Post
If I bring a laptop or desktop home, it is always given a clean inside and out as a courtesy. The cases are blown our with an air compressor, the case and keyboards are cleaned with Antibacterial wipes, and then polished with MrSheen wipes. Lastly the screen is cleaned.

It's just a nice personal touch which doesn't take long, and for the most part, they usually notice the difference and comment on it.
I'm one for doing this, also (selfishly) I prefer working on a clean system be before I start any work.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:22 PM

PRobbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to PRobbo

I bought an Earlex CombiVac. It's a regular cylinder vacuum, but as well as vacuuming (sucking!) in the usual way, by switching the hose to the "hole" on the opposite side of the motor housing, it blows! Great for cleaning those really dusty old machines that have spent 5 years or more in the same place.

I even bought some attachments specifically designed to be used with computers, but to be honest, they dampen the "violence" of the airflow so much (sucking and blowing!) that I never use them - just point the main hose and fire (preferably through an open door or window).
Old 11-10-2010, 02:54 PM

iisjman07 has a spectacular aura aboutiisjman07 has a spectacular aura about

Paintbrush, compressed air
Old 11-10-2010, 03:44 PM

jj2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to jj2000

Quote:
I'm one for doing this, also (selfishly) I prefer working on a clean system before I start any work.
I also use the paintbrush and compressed air for desktops,I have also been known to use our shop vac for really dirty machines,however not every machine gets this treatment and it is not for the fainthearted
Wanting and needing impossible heaven.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:50 PM

MM PC Solutions is on a distinguished road

Laptops - disinfectant wipes, who knows what the hell has been on the owners fingers!

Last edited by MM PC Solutions; 11-10-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: missed an "a". :P
Old 11-10-2010, 05:02 PM

MLCS is an unknown quantity at this point

What happened to the old school posters? This has been covered many times before. Honestly I read about it on here and I still use this method to this day.

Small leaf blower (pickup from your local Home Depot for about $30) it's not too powerful to harm anything, but definitely powerful enough to clean the hell out of the machine.

Canned air is expensive and slow.

Vacuums don't do a very good job aside from getting the large clumps.

Compressors require a moisture filter on your line to catch any condensation in the line and even then it's risky. Plus they're usually high powered air in a focused location that can damage the machine.

I have a little patio out back I will take the machine before I work on it at all and blow it out with the leaf blower. If there's any little crevaces the blower happened to miss I'll hit it with a couple shots of canned air. It's a wonderful tool!

**Edit - I also include the cleaning free of charge along with the service. I don't want to be working in that mess to begin with. But it's quick and easy and the customers really appreciate getting their machine back clean. Especially clean the monitor of the laptop. It gives them the whole "new computer" feel when they get it back and it's all clean**
Old 11-10-2010, 07:13 PM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Leaf blower (big or high pressure jobs)
paint brush (pure bristle - nothing synthetic)
compressed air (small / inside jobs)
window cleaner + chux (pretty much everything inc LCD screens)
and cyber clean for 'hard to get to' delights (like laptop keyboards)
Old 11-11-2010, 01:51 AM

TampaBayTech is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16k_zx81 View Post
and cyber clean for 'hard to get to' delights (like laptop keyboards)
Haha, never seen that before. Doesn't it get full of junk from the keyboards really fast though? Or is there a way to clean the cyberclean?