Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 11-07-2010, 04:38 AM

roborobs computer repair is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to roborobs computer repair Send a message via Skype™ to roborobs computer repair
Default On-Site or In-shop

I've noticed when I work on a customer's computer at their house, it makes me nervous when the person stays in the room because they tend to look over my shoulder watching me. I have decided, unless the job will take less than 20 minutes, to start taking all computers back to the office to work on them. Does anyone else do this? I do not charge for pickup or delivery unless the address is more than 20 miles from my office. Do you think this is a good distance?
Quote:
"Failure is not an option." John F. Kennedy
Old 11-07-2010, 06:45 AM

IAMPC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by roborobs computer repair View Post
I do not charge for pickup or delivery unless the address is more than 20 miles from my office. Do you think this is a good distance?
Why not charge for delivery? How much do you charge for your service? Delivery is extremely time consuming and time is your best asset.... I always charge for delivery or they can come pick it up from me for free...

As far as them watching me, I have no issue with that but I do understand that some are not comfortable with it....
Old 11-07-2010, 07:29 AM

1st Call Sussex IT is an unknown quantity at this point

Difficult one really, some people will like to watch and learn and that is great as part of the point of helping someone with their computer is so that they learn how to avoid the same problem in the future (especially for virus related problems). If you help the client understand what happened they are more likely to use you for other issues as you will have proved yourself helpful - whereas others may just fix it and charge. Basically you won't build the trust and rapport.

You also don't really want to be taking away every machine, not if you can fix it in an hour or two as it'll take you longer than that to disconnect the machine, bring it back, connect it up, fix it, disconnect, return, reconnect & explain to client whats happened.

On the other hand if the client is pushed for time, or you feel uncomfortable (either because the client is "difficult" or because your skills are not 100% and you need to use Google / extra help etc) then yes taking it back is a good idea, but you need to charge if only to cover the extra 2 trips you need to make.

It's a judgement call on all jobs most technicians have to make. However you can't expect to remove a machine that is critical to a business (server, important workstation etc).

Hope this helps.

1st Call Sussex IT
PC / IT Support, PC Repair, IT Systems, Networks & Website Design in East Sussex.
Freephone: 0800 5053 810 | Eastbourne: 01323 887 537 | Hastings: 01424 863 555.
Mobile: 07846 755 702 | Email: info@sussex-it.com | Web: www.sussex-it.com
Old 11-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

Usually up to an hour I do onsite after that then it's probably better all round to take back to the workshop. As regards distance you need to measure that in time. 20 miles across London forget it, 20 miles where I live now is not really a problem. Again charging you have to weigh each call up individually. I went to a call on Friday morning with no internet working on one computer, others ok. I went to the call(about 8 miles 15mins) and tried to diagnose the fault went through all the normal stuff but the client was continually talking to me(really interesting person though). After 1h 45mins (and diagnosing a faulty protocol stack) I couldn't get it to reset through normal methods and decided to take it back to the workshop. Got it back there and the third reboot after the netsh fix it worked . I sold him a tune up and memory upgrade so carried on with that. He wanted the computer back while waiting for the memory so I took it back Friday afternoon and he was very happy. The memory arrived from Crucial first post next day(Crucial are always fast) so I'm going back to fit that Monday morning. He will be charged accordingly as some of it was his choice. So sometimes there are no hard, fast rules although most will fit into your normal pricing framework.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:43 AM

Eddie can only hope to improve

I don't do onsite work for residential unless it's something like a home network problem, all other PC/laptop problems come back to my office. I'll do onsite work for business clients as they need their systems to make money.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 PM

DavidF is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no trouble with the client watching while I troubleshoot their problem and I generally try and explain what I am doing. If they want to watch then they might as well have some idea of what I am doing although it is sometimes annoying to break concentration to explain something trivial.
Regarding fixing it there or taking it back to the workshop, I generally allow .5-.75/hr onsite before telling them that it's going to be uneconomical to resolve because further measures are going to involve us both making small talk at my hourly rate while diagnostics run their course.
This is also governed by the fact that my day is divided into hourly increments (+/- 30 mins) and if it's not fixed in that time then it's a safe bet that the problem runs deeper than the usual quick fix.
I charge a .5/hr callout fee to all site visits to cover travelling time and is not negotiable.
So far they've all been happy with this.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:49 PM

seedubya has a spectacular aura aboutseedubya has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
although it is sometimes annoying to break concentration to explain something trivial.
I usually say something like "Sorry, I have the attention span of a fly! I can only do one thing at a time - work or talk - and you're paying by the hour"
Usually shut's them up
Old 11-07-2010, 05:52 PM

JustComputers is an unknown quantity at this point

When it comes to onsite work if we can't get the problem fixed in 30 mins to 1.5hrs then it's time to explain to the client that if the computer was brought back to the shop it would be much more economical for them.

One of the main jobs that we almost never do onsite for residential is a virus/malware infection. The amount of time involved can be incredible sometimes and I can't very well charge someone 300$ to fix their computer at their house when I could do it for 89$ + pickup/delivery if I returned to the shop.

Most customers understand this very well. Put it in terms of time/money and the vast majority of clients will understand and be happy with your for being honest. There will still be a few clients who still want it fixed onsite for whatever reason but you can feel good knowing they'll be paying for that .
Old 11-07-2010, 09:06 PM

MobileTechie has a spectacular aura aboutMobileTechie has a spectacular aura about

I think you need to get over it.

I can only assume you're nervous because you're not confident you're doing the right things or doing them quickly enough or something. That sort of thing will go away with experience.

It's certainly worth trying to get over it when you consider the time and money you lose in driving twice the distance to do the same job.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:30 PM

glricht has a spectacular aura aboutglricht has a spectacular aura about

Our business is on-site only (whether business or residential) and we have faced these issues too.

Based on your website, I'm assuming you don't have a store front and do only on-site work. If so, you need to have a trip charge. There are many methods for determining a price and pick the best that works for you, but even short trips should have some sort of travel fee.

Second, charging by the job is fine if you have a shop because you can multi-task with other machines, but when you're on-site, you can't leverage your time. Which is why many techs charge some type of hourly-rate in this case.

We charge an hourly rate and if the customer wants to watch, that's fine with us. Plus, it allows us to talk about all kinds of tech topics while waiting, for example, a scan to finish. Goes a long way to building a relationship which leads to repeat calls and referrals.

Generally, we try to resolve the problem on-site so we don't have to make two trips. Unless we've really run into a stone wall working on something, about the only time we bring a PC back to the shop is for a N&P or if it needs a unique part that we don't carry with us.