Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 11-06-2010, 01:09 AM

parttimetechie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USB 2.0 problem

I have a ECS G31T-M motherboard which until yesterday had USB 2.0 ports. I had a bit of a problem with the PSU, swapped it out, took out the battery in the CMOS. Got it all working again, except now when I plug a USB device in the PC *Win 7 Pro 32bit* says that there are no USB 2.0 ports, which I know for a fact is false. Checked in device manager, no yellow triangles, updated the chipset drivers to the newest version, no luck. Anyone have any idea what could be causing it? BIOS Settings don't allow for an "Enhanced mode" only a Legacy USB ports Enabled or Disabled.

Help is appreciated.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:15 AM

joydivision will become famous soon enough

There has to be a setting in the BIOS some where, if you have reset the CMOS it has to be a BIOS setting even if it not at all obvious.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:53 AM
Banned

iptech is on the way

I have a Mesh desktop PC "a la Vista" on the bench now that has a similar problem. It's not BIOS or any driver/system file issue and the hardware tests good. I'm thinking Vista has royally screwed-up once again, the chaps at Microsoft have offered up no fixit beyond the "have you tried a nuke 'n' pave?" option.

I'm seriously considering a surcharge for working on "The wow starts now". At its launch I though Wow was an exclamation of its awsomness, but I now believe it to be an acronym for "why oh why"!
Old 11-06-2010, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iptech View Post
I have a Mesh desktop PC "a la Vista" on the bench now that has a similar problem. It's not BIOS or any driver/system file issue and the hardware tests good. I'm thinking Vista has royally screwed-up once again, the chaps at Microsoft have offered up no fixit beyond the "have you tried a nuke 'n' pave?" option.

I'm seriously considering a surcharge for working on "The wow starts now". At its launch I though Wow was an exclamation of its awsomness, but I now believe it to be an acronym for "why oh why"!
Well, good to know someone else is having an issue, u might just help us both solve it

I checked the bios, none of the settings besides disabled legacy did anything, and that turned off my USB ports
Old 11-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Banned

iptech is on the way

I'm still bashing away at it, next step is to try an in-place 'upgrade' of Vista. The problem started when the customer started getting problems with his Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse setup. He uninstalled the Microsoft software and tried a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo and that didn't work. I can occasionally get a USB mouse to be recognised although this stop working as soon as anything else is plugged into the USB ports. His USB Lexmark printer with incorporated card reader works OK. PS2 mouse & keyboard work without problem.

I've tried updated chipset drivers from Mesh (it's a bespoke Asus P5B board) and run SFC across it. SFC found errors but none fixed the issue. There doesn't appear to be any BIOS updates.

Googling finds other have had the same problem with this board & Vista, but there's no conclusive fix I've found and a Technet search brings up a few references , but this looks like another of those 'forgotten' errors with Microsoft.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Banned

iptech is on the way

Update: Finally got to the bottom of this one and isolated the problem to the motherboard. Even though the USB controller is reported as being installed OK, it will not recognise any devices attached to any of the hubs.

After suspecting the operating system and going over all driver/system/BIOS settings possible even trying a new PSU (the existing one was replaced last month). I then thought I'd try installing a fresh copy of Vista on a spare drive - same thing no USB devices working. So I then tried adding a PCI USB card to the system - low-and-behold all USB devices work when connected to the new USB interface.

So I now have two choices for the customer - replace the entire mainboard, or disable the onboard USB and install one or two PCI USB cards.

Moral is: The OS might not be the cause of system woes even where the symptoms suggest it might be. I still think Vista's sh!t though!
Old 11-06-2010, 05:39 PM

Well, I am glad you got it fixed, but I don't have expansions slots to play with like that. I tend to agree its mobo related...its really annoying though.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:19 PM

Solved with a simple "Restore default settings" in the BIOS. Who would have guessed