Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 10-25-2010, 11:32 PM

JimboK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Laptop Screen Fascia Screw Won't Come Out

Hi All,

I went to a call out earlier today. Flickering screen on a HP DV6300 I was going to remove the screen just to check the cables had not come loose as part of my diagnosis.

I was unable to remove the screen fascia as the screw thread on the screw in the bottom right seems to have gone. The screw will spin either way quite easily in the socket but won't come out or tighten. The socket hole is too narrow to get anything down to try and lever the screw out.

Apart from snapping the screen fascia, Does anyone have any suggestions or experience on how I can remove this screw? Ideally without damaging the fascia.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:37 PM

ComputerStop is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had cases like this where I have had to use a dremel and actually drill out the screw.

Take masking tape and cover the surrounding area thoroughly and drill directly down through the screw, it will weaken it enough to fall out on its own.

Be sure that you are confident in your hand steadiness, if you aren't you may bugger up the whole thing.

Good Luck!

Data Backup San Angelo Texas
Old 10-25-2010, 11:40 PM

JRDtechnet is on a distinguished road

most likely the metal anchor or whatever its called loosen inside the plastic hole it's in and is just spinning around when your trying to unscrew it. I would try to unsnap most of the bezel and see if you can gently pry it off, if your successful then the bezel will come off with the screw and anchor attached. Or maybe get a flat thin putty knife behind bezel and put pressure on the anchor to keep it from turning so you can remove the screw. Then you'll have to figure out if you want to somehow epoxy the anchor back into the hole if its not to mangled, get a new back cover, or put a dab of crazy glue to hold the bezel down on that one corner.

Computer Repair NJ
Old 10-25-2010, 11:57 PM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Yes I think it probably needs some pressure behind it while you turn the screw, to force the screw into the thread.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:32 AM

Appleby is on a distinguished road

I would price the cost of the replacement bezel and then explain the situation to the customer. I would explain the problem, tell them what you want to try and then tell them that if the bezel breaks the replacement cost is $XX. In a situation like this, I probably wouldn't mark the part up but that is your choice. I would say it in such a way that they realize breaking/replacing the bezel might be part of the job, not something you are going to eat. If it breaks, it's not an accident....it's a problem that you are aware of before hand and something you can warn the customer about in advance.

Just my 2 cents.
Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one. - Matthew 5:37
Old 10-26-2010, 09:58 AM

JimboK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a go.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:18 PM

meanderer is an unknown quantity at this point

By Fascia do you mean the frame that immediately surrounds the screen? I normally call that a bezel.

The screw should be already in a loose state, try to give a little force when you remove it. The screw should come off along with the piece. Once it's out, you can see what's holding it back and remove it the best way you can. I would explain to the client that the screw and its hole has given up but as part of screen is held by tabs and multiple screws it should not be a big deal to leave that particular one hanging.