Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Guides, Tips and Tricks

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Simmy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Simmy
Default Search Engine Optimisation

Does anyone have any tips for helping to increase the page ranking of our websites? Is it just a matter of getting your website listed on as many sites as possible?

I've had companies guarantee that they can get me in the top 10 search results for "Bristol computer repair", but I've always wondered how they do it (not enough to pay them £800 though!).

Also, when you type in "Bristol computer repair" the first results are usually google maps with links to local computer repair companies. Any ideas how you increase your ranking on there too?

Computer Repair Bristol | Bristol IT Support
Vidahost Discount Code | FreeAgent Discount Code | PM Me For A TeamViewer Discount Code
Old 03-19-2008, 12:33 AM

hawks5999 is on the way
Send a message via Skype™ to hawks5999

http://seotips.org/

There is a pretty broad science to SEO. Likely worth paying a professional.

I'd refer you to www.clocktowermedia.com as they are experts at SEO.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:25 AM

rurbaniak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
Does anyone have any tips for helping to increase the page ranking of our websites? Is it just a matter of getting your website listed on as many sites as possible?

I've had companies guarantee that they can get me in the top 10 search results for "Bristol computer repair", but I've always wondered how they do it (not enough to pay them £800 though!).

Also, when you type in "Bristol computer repair" the first results are usually google maps with links to local computer repair companies. Any ideas how you increase your ranking on there too?

Definitely not worth paying for. You can do this easily by yourself. The phrase "Bristol computer repair" is not a highly sought after one, so you can achieve top 10 pretty easy. If you are serious about learning SEO, check out seobook.com, great book, lots of stuff to learn, it can be overwhelming, but once it starts sinking in, no big deal. The hardest part is actually sticking to it and doing it.

And to answer your question, getting links back into your site is just one way to help. Links from other web sites should be from related content as well. One way to do this is to write an article and put it on Digg.

Another important item is to put keywords in your Page Title. Each page on your site should have a unique title based on the pages content and your most important keywords.

Take a look at my home page: http://digitaldvs.com

The page title is: Michigan Computer Services, Downriver, Allen Park

Because of this page title, we rank in google on the following:

allen park computer services - 2nd out of 387,000

downriver computer services - 4th out of 20,300

michigan computer services - 25th out of 1,640,000

So really isn't that hard to rank high in low competition keywords..
Old 03-19-2008, 10:54 AM

MrMille is on a distinguished road

nice site, and how did you get those rankings?

off topic, what remote solution do you use?
Old 03-20-2008, 01:30 AM

focuz is on a distinguished road

Reading up on some research is better then most free tools youll find, but one website I really like is websitegrader.com

It gets you in the right direction.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:14 AM

super link focuz, cheers!
Old 03-20-2008, 12:33 PM

cmonova will become famous soon enough
Default site

That is a great site to use as a reference, but be careful on the results. You will find other sites do the same things. Problem is if you keep trying to change your site according to what those reports say you may hurt yourself in the long run.

When doing optimization you have to continually tweak things. But, the most important thing is to make sure your site is coded correctly to begin with. Otherwise it will mess with your rankings.

We service 4 major cities. I am not putting the cities because I think these forums are picked up in searches and don’t want to reflect such. If anyone needs to see the exact cities I am talking about feel free to pm/email me and I’ll give you them.

In GOOGLE we rank:

CITY computer repair – 1st out of 50,200
CITY computer repair – 7th out of 122,000
CITY computer repair – 1st out of 80,100
CITY computer repair – 1st out of 105,000
STATE computer repair – 1st out of 227,000

In YAHOO we rank:

CITY computer repair – 3rd out of 421,000
CITY computer repair – 3rd out of 1,290,000
CITY computer repair – 4th out of 584,000
CITY computer repair – 11th out of 1,250,000
STATE computer repair – 3rd out of 13,000,000

We also do very well in the other search engines i.e. aol, msn, etc. It is important to make sure you are not seo'ing for one specific search engine.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:09 PM

Jory is on a distinguished road

If your main goal is just to be the 1st result for "Bristol Computer Repair" then link to your main page using that phrase from high PR sites. For example maybe you could write a couple articles and submit them to tech related places and then have "Bristol Computer Repair" linked at the end under your name, etc.

There is no big secret to search engine placement. The more people linking to you with high PR using certain phrases the better your placement will be for those searches.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:16 PM

Holy Cow! is it that easy to get an article link on a PR6 site?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:44 PM

cmonova will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jory View Post
If your main goal is just to be the 1st result for "Bristol Computer Repair" then link to your main page using that phrase from high PR sites. For example maybe you could write a couple articles and submit them to tech related places and then have "Bristol Computer Repair" linked at the end under your name, etc.
There is no big secret to search engine placement. The more people linking to you with high PR using certain phrases the better your placement will be for those searches.

Jory...I do not think it is that easy otherwise everyone would do it
Obviously a one-way link is great. Try to find a PR 6 willing to give you a one-way link for no reason...Not very often that will happen.

You are right there is no secret but there is work to be done. If it was that easy everyone would have a pr6 and nobody would care who is #1.

Tags
seo