Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Microsoft Windows

Technibble Sponsor

Old 11-01-2010, 07:52 AM

smlie4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Wow some heat in this thread, diet coke has got us all on edge.. lol

There have been some great responses and some clear genius's out there, way beyond my brain knowledge.

I can't believe I oversighted re-cloning the old drive, so simple! Not saying this would have resolved the issue, but it does seems like a logical step early in the process.

For anyone interested in how the job turned out:
When I first diagnosed a faulty hard drive I talked the customer through the various outcomes.

Firstly and primarily I would do my best to clone their drive so they would not suffer any interruption, but as the drive has failed areas it may not be possible and I would have re-install Windows again which would mean all their software would have to installed including any personal settings they had in those programs.

In the end the customer was informed the clone was unsuccessful which they were okay with. I took the machine back and spent 4 hours setting up the computer with the clients software and getting it back into network and a couple of calls to accounting software company. Customer happy wants me back in a couple of months to setup new laptop and secretary also asked for two business cards.
3. If it doesn't work, It's physics.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:37 AM

Knightsman is on a distinguished road

Honestly, if you clone a drive, and are still worried, uninstall SP3 if it has it, and SP2. Reinstall, run SFC, and you should be fine. Ive never had a problem.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:35 PM

Styxbound is an unknown quantity at this point

Several days ago my Dell precision 380 hung up at the loading screen at first boot in the morning; would blue-screen in safe mode. Did chkdsk /r from the recovery console; problem resolved. Later hard drive tests and virus scans found nothing.

I might mention in passing I very rarely have blue-screens when I don't know immediately what the problem is. It's almost always something "iffy" I've done like using a hard drive from another machine.